TransDEM Forum

TransDEM News, Support, Hints and Resources
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 10:22

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2019 12:01 

OK so I've got everything figured out with transdem and it's working for me. I've got the route exported and loaded into trainz but the UTM tiles are not on the route. They are in the game as placable assets but they aren't where they should be on the map. Is there a step I'm missing?

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2019 12:57 

Did you import the route itself? Generating UTM tiles modifies the .obs file of the route. The route needs an anchor point for every UTM tile and TransDEM knows where they belong.

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2019 14:51 

Maybe I missed a step, I exported the DEM to trainz(editing folder) then exported the UTM tile data to the editing-scenery folder. Then I imported the route to content manager first, then the UTM tiles folder.

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2019 15:26 

trudgen8102 wrote:
Maybe I missed a step, I exported the DEM to trainz(editing folder) then exported the UTM tile data to the editing-scenery folder. Then I imported the route to content manager first, then the UTM tiles folder.
That sounds correct. The important thing is not to import anything with Trainz Content Manager before all TransDEM export actions have been completed.

Did you do the "Muengsten" tutorial from the TransDEM Trainz manual or your own route when this happened? If you did not do the Muengsten tutorial, you may want to check the UTM tile chapter there, to see if there are any different steps or different order of steps.

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2019 15:44 

It's my own route that this is occurring on. I haven't done the tutorial route but maybe I'll give that a try to see if that will work. It's just weird that I get everything else to work in trainz (DEM, vector data, etc..) but the UTM tiles nor the ground painted textures are working.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2019 14:58 

So here's any update, I did the tutorial route and it was successful. I then went to work on my custom route by following the same steps as the tutorial. Imported to trainz with no errors, loaded it up and there are no utm tiles or painted on information other than the elevation color changes. I'm not sure what else to do. This is what i get when i load into trainz Image

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2019 15:43 

trudgen8102 wrote:
I did the tutorial route and it was successful.
That means there is nothing principally going here.
Are you using 2D or 3D tiles? If they are invisible they may be hiding below the surface, for whatever reason. Did you try the wireframe grid in Trainz Surveyor to investigate?
trudgen8102 wrote:
They are in the game as placeable assets but they aren't where they should be on the map.
Have you tried to place one or two manually, just to ensure they become visible?

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2019 16:08 

Yes they are in game and placeable, I'm using 3d tiles. Also another update, I've redone my route again and this time the ground is painted like the map but I still have no tiles being placed.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2019 09:46 

As the UTM tiles are ordinary Trainz assets, they are referenced by KUID. I think there is a function in Surveyor or Content Manager, that lists all the KUIDs a route depends on.

If, for some unknown reason, TransDEM messes things up and KUIDs it sets in the route (.obs file) don't match KUIDs it generates for the tile objects, this dependency list might help to identify it. TransDEM has some internal functionality to deal with new and existing tiles, which may have got it wrong. The other, much simpler explanation would be that the route in Trainz Content Manager is older than the route modified by TransDEM to accommodate the tile references.

The Muengsten example worked, you said. That was a route from scratch, I believe. So we could take it from there. Start from scratch, that is. Delete all data related to your route in the TransDEM Export/Trainz Edit folder, including all tiles in the "scenery" folder. Delete the route in Content Manager, and delete all tiles in Content Manager. Then create the route and its UTM tiles anew.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2019 15:25 

Ok I started a route from the beginning and I managed to get utm tiles into the game, however its only a handful. They didn't generate for the entire route, I'mm not sure what I'm doing that is causing this weird behavior.