TransDEM Forum

TransDEM News, Support, Hints and Resources
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 18:20

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Export error?
PostPosted: 30 Jul 2019 07:09 

Hi all. I was wondering if anyone could show why I get such a different outcome when I export my route from TD to surveyor?
A setting maybe that I've missed? 1st one is from TransDem & the 2nd is what I get in surveyor TS19. TransDem is 2.6.3.0.
Also, I've noticed that TransDem textureenvs 20 03,20 16 & 20 19 are marked as installed, payware. Any significance?

Cheers, Dom.

Post subject: Re: Export error?
PostPosted: 30 Jul 2019 08:31 

Dome97 wrote:
A setting maybe that I've missed?
It's not a setting, it's a fundamental issue (and probably among the top 3 of any FAQ): The available number of ground textures per baseboard is 250. The number of ground vertices per baseboard is 72x72 for the 10m and 144x144 for the 5m grid, a significant discrepancy. The only reasonable solution is to go for monochrome ground textures (it has also to do with the way the Surveyor/Driver ground texture renderer works). Monochrome textures limit the resolution to one pixel per ground vertex, 10 or 5m. This limits the map scale that can be rendered without too much blur. A reasonable figure is 1:25,000 for the 5m grid or 1:50,000 for the 10m grid.

For anything larger than that, e.g. track plans and particularly ortho-imagery, we need a different approach. It's called UTM tiles. TransDEM UTM tiles are standard scenery assets, large texture carrier objects, generated individually for each square kilometre (the UTM coordinate grid, hence the name). Each UTM tile is textured from the corresponding map or image source square with the full texture resolution the Trainz graphic engine supports (but cut down to save memory, if possible, depending on source scale). UTM tiles come as 2D or 3D. 3D tiles adopt the terrain shape, but are take longer in the making.

Surveyor screenshots of TransDEM-based routes you'll see in the forums which show hi-res ground texturing will be with UTM tiles.

See here for some insights: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=275

Dome97 wrote:
Also, I've noticed that TransDem textureenvs 20 03,20 16 & 20 19 are marked as installed, payware. Any significance?
No. This dates back to Trainz 2010 or even longer, when a TransDEM-based route designated for built-in (payware) content was not thoroughly cleaned for TransDEM ground textures before uploading. It confuses TransDEM users since, but N3V has not removed this residue until now. Ignore.

Post subject: Re: Export error?
PostPosted: 03 Aug 2019 02:31 

Thanks. I'll go back to the manual as I thought I was exporting 3d tiles.

As in; Trainz/Export & create DEM & ground textures. Then Export & create UTM tiles.
I'll get there eventually :roll: .

Cheers, Dom.