TransDEM Forum

TransDEM News, Support, Hints and Resources
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 16:05

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2019 23:09 

Hello

I have a problem with British historical maps. I don't seem to be able to load the xml file at least don't know where to load it followed the instructions but did as was said the program came up with replace the existing tile type entries I pressed ok and the the screen then said "added providers/Added file type entries/replaced tile type entries 0/1/0 then get nothing at all all i have when i try to open the map tile servers i get
1 ms virtual earth
2 google maps
3 yahoo maps
5 open street map
6 Yandex
8 historic UK
then unnumbered xml version ...........
so I am a little bitstuck because i click on historic and have map and also other 3 when i try to hit on one of them i get a black screen. I did make sure that only the UK was showing i zoomed in to 8 times zoom
Peter

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2019 08:52 

hrhpeter wrote:
I don't seem to be able to load the xml file
It could be your TransDEM version. For full support of the map tile features, you will need TransDEM 2.6.*. It introduced HTTPS, unlimited number of map types per provider with custom names and transparent background. The latter is handy in conjunction with the 25 inch map where you may need to fill from a second subset.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2019 10:56 

Thank you Geophil
I do have transdem version 2.6.2.2 and I feel I must be doing something totally wrong just don't seem to be able to sort it out. Do I add the website address into the settings / provider and does the rest automatically follow? so it then gives me map etc

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2019 12:11 

hrhpeter wrote:
I do have transdem version 2.6.2.2
Should be okay. Nonetheless, I recommend to apply the 2.6.3 update (from the website) as it adds more support for UK hi-res LIDAR DEMs.

hrhpeter wrote:
Do I add the website address into the settings / provider and does the rest automatically follow? so it then gives me map etc
No, you download the zipped settings, unpack and import the xml file.

For TransDEM 2.6, I extended the format of the xml settings. They now always come with a unique key, the GUID, and will appear in the provider list without numbers. So, "8 Historic UK" will become ""Historic UK". There is a built-in upgrade mechanism that will detect an existing "8 Historic UK" setting and replace this with the new GUID-based setting.

What you describe would be the typical behaviour of a pre 2.6 version of TransDEM which does not know about the new fields in the xml (and the new features) and still come up with the old numerical naming scheme after an import.

Anyway, as the automatism does not appear to work in your case, I suggest to remove all your present map tile settings and then install the "latest" from my website (it's a year old now, but still largely up-to-date). You can remove the settings in TransDEM itself, going through the configured providers one-by-one or remove the stored settings, all of the following files:
c:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Local\TransDEM\WebTileMapServerDescs.xml
c:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Local\TransDEM\WebTileMapServerDescs2.xml
c:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Local\TransDEM\WebTileMapServerDescs3.xml

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2019 21:32 

Whoops

Sorry Phil I seem to be in more of a mess than i started with. I followed your instructions removing the webtilemapserver descs I then downloaded the update allowed it to install to the program.
No i have nothing in the provider or the settings windows, both are totally blank. For yoiur information the program was purchased on 13th November 2016. unfortunately i do not have a backup of the program as the hard drive i saved the backup on died completely.
Sorry to be a pain.

Peter

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2019 07:23 

Download and unzip "TransDEM Sample Settings.zip". There are two different xml files in the config package. One is for the map tile client, the other for the WMS client. You'll need "Map Tile Sample Settings Apr 2018.xml".

In TransDEM in the Map Tile Servers window click [Settings]. In the Map Tile Settings dialog click [Import]. Navigate to and select the unpacked "Map Tile Sample Settings Apr 2018.xml". Answer [Yes] to the confirmation question in the message box: "Replace existing tile type entries". A final message box should tell you that you got about 93 added entries.

After the import both drop-down boxes appear to be empty but once you open the Provider list, you should see them all.

And after you close TransDEM,
c:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Local\TransDEM\WebTileMapServerDescs3.xml
should have reappeared.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2019 15:19 

Thank you so much it worked brilliantly.
It is such a great program

Peter