TransDEM Forum

TransDEM News, Support, Hints and Resources
It is currently 27 Apr 2024 18:46

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2011 04:18 

looking for data maps or any thing for trainz routes transdem in australia thanks eastern side of australia please help me thanks iam all new to this and dont under stand much and if some one that has the knowage please come farward thanks

cheers jack ford

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2011 05:53 

Do you have to doublepost though? I think Australian data is described in the manual and is under Map Tile Servers.

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2011 06:35 

Damien_Zhar wrote:
Do you have to doublepost though? I think Australian data is described in the manual and is under Map Tile Servers.

manual ? where can i find this manual every ones talking about it and i dont under stand it or where it is i need a idea where it is direct to that manual i been searching all day

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2011 11:20 

[F1] and [Shift]+[F1] is the quickest way to bring up the manuals.

As I said in the mail and as Damien_Zhar has repeated here, Map Tile Services are the recommended approach.

Concerning a more advanced WMS, this is a bit difficult for Australia outside NSW.

NSW does have a good WMS, multi-layer, nominal scale up to 1:50,000, tutorial in the manual.

Victoria used to have a similar WMS, too, but only for a short while and very slow. It seems to be gone now. Same for Queensland.

There is a nationwide WMS for Australia, unfortunately only 1:250,000.

All the WMS configuration data can be found in the sample WMS settings file, which accompanied my email and can also be downloaded from my website. The other file in this package has the preconfigured Map Tile settings.

Coming back to Map Tiles. In comparison, Map tiles may not have all the topographic detail, but they are becoming better and better. They are so easy to use that I would give them a try first, in particular as a TransDEM newbie.

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2011 21:58 

G'day Jackford 2011,

Geophil has 'nailed it' for you there but no one has mentioned that I am getting great results using the Tile Maps available through the latest available Tile Map update by way of Open Street Map for locations outside of Victoria and NSW (for which I use my own externally purchased digitised raster maps, manually geo-referencing them)...

...search these pages for more details on the recent up dates...

Jerker {:)}

PostPosted: 09 May 2011 02:13 

Re Victoria State, GeoVic http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/DSE/dsencor.n ... 9FA1A?open provides a number of different mapping functions, the Forest Explorer and Explore Victoria On Line probably being the most relevant to our needs.

You need to open up the options and ensure the required details are checked but the overall quality is nowhere near as good as (say) the UK OS Maps on StreetMap. There also appears to be no WMS feature so it is necessary to take screendumps or clips of the maps and join them in a paint programme for manual georeferencing. The low contrast of the mapping also means even using the 5m grid, the detail can be somewhat blurred once imported to Trainz.

Where these maps do shine however, is that they seem to show most abandoned railway lines which are either not shown at all in Open Street Map, or due to the passage of time absorbed back into surrounding terrain and hard to follow in Google satellite view or Google Earth.

A compromise may be to use these maps to trace the actual route, but switch back to the sharper and more detailed TMS such as Open or Google before extracting into Trainz.

PostPosted: 09 May 2011 03:58 

G'day jackford2011,

Based on a suggestion from another unrelated thread from the Victrainz forum, I have been taking a close look at the output from Nearmap (http://www.nearmap.com), which seems to provide a most excellent Tile Mapping service (which is currently 'available' in the TransDEM settings) and which I did neglect to mention in my previous post. I would strongly suggest you look into this possibility (make sure you use the "combination" option in the Tile Map Server settings)...

Jerker {:)}

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2011 17:14 

Sorry to dig up an old post, but what are the tile settings for the use of nearmap with TransDem?

Regards
Dave.

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2011 18:43 

prometheus_au wrote:
... what are the tile settings for the use of nearmap with TransDem?
I don't have them here but I can tell you on Monday.

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2011 23:52 

thanks for that..... :D