TransDEM Forum

TransDEM News, Support, Hints and Resources
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 15:32

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2018 13:31 

It seems like the Geospatial Scene is pretty much dead in Australia, In any state. There does not seem to be a way to get any information or downloads for Perth, Vic, SA or WA, It seems like this information and is only available for certain people. So, TransDEM is pretty useless to me now.

Thanks for nothing.

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2018 21:41 

What kind of geo data do you need? The only thing dead - for years now - is WMS.

You get DEMs from ELVIS and there is also 10 and 20m for Victoria (and possibly others I am not aware of).

And for maps, all the global Map Tile services are available (and quite likely some national or state services I do not know about, like the one for Tasmania we detected a few months ago).

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2018 04:42 

geophil wrote:
What kind of geo data do you need? The only thing dead - for years now - is WMS.

You get DEMs from ELVIS and there is also 10 and 20m for Victoria (and possibly others I am not aware of).

And for maps, all the global Map Tile services are available (and quite likely some national or state services I do not know about, like the one for Tasmania we detected a few months ago).

Yes, WMS seems pretty dead, And any Topo Maps I have found are in useless resolutions.

And a QLD Topo series, that looked promising, just would not load, and gave me an error.

And so did 5 Meter DEM of Victoria in Geotiff format. It just would not load. (Im glad I did not download the other states)

So I just gave up there. Its only a matter of time before I give Victoria the toss as well.

The Topo Maps, Just help with the Cuttings, and Embankments. And Im not going to buy them after how rude the people were. And especially when Im not charging anything for what Im creating. So that Western Australia, and South Australia got cancelled by me real fast. I just cant be bothered dealing with bureaucrats. The People are not even bureaucrats, they just act like they are important.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2018 08:59 

WMS for Australia was 1:250,000 for the entire country and 1:50,000 for NSW and Victoria. At this scale and the available feature data for those maps, cuttings and embankments would not show. You will at least get the same, and in many cases better data, with Open Street Map (or Open Topo Map as an alternative rendering).

For ELVIS, 5m DEMs, or GeoTIFF, these were the findings in 2016:
https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthr ... f-problems

I was able to load Victoria state DEMs, 10 and 20m, in .adf format, with TransDEM 2.6.2 and higher.

I understand Australian states are more or less independent regarding geospatial data - very much like the federal states (Bundesländer) here in Germany, so we have to deal with a number of agencies/authorities and their technical solutions, including different policies on open and/or commercial and otherwise restricted data.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2018 19:42 

geophil wrote:
WMS for Australia was 1:250,000 for the entire country and 1:50,000 for NSW and Victoria. At this scale and the available feature data for those maps, cuttings and embankments would not show. You will at least get the same, and in many cases better data, with Open Street Map (or Open Topo Map as an alternative rendering).

For ELVIS, 5m DEMs, or GeoTIFF, these were the findings in 2016:
https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthr ... f-problems

I was able to load Victoria state DEMs, 10 and 20m, in .adf format, with TransDEM 2.6.2 and higher.

I understand Australian states are more or less independent regarding geospatial data - very much like the federal states (Bundesländer) here in Germany, so we have to deal with a number of agencies/authorities and their technical solutions, including different policies on open and/or commercial and otherwise restricted data.

Well, they can keep their "restricted data" Im going to concentrate my efforts elsewhere. Sad, but its the reality. as you probably know. I was doing The whole Network of Victoria, Australia, with someone else, and he is just as annoyed by this behaviour, by Australian Agencies.

Anyway, after November, I wont have to worry about "Australian Agencies" beacuse Im going back home To the Basque Country (and no.. Its nothing to do with Geodata, its just their whole way of dealing with things, that I have began to totally hate, Im going back for personal reasons, Family, and things that really matter like that)

Talking of Geodata and the Basque Country, We are certainly a lot more open, than others claim to be. We have 5m DEM, And I hear that we have some higher resolution LIDAR. and it is not just coastal, heading our way.

ELVIS, I coudn't get their supposed GeoTIFF rubbish to open in TransDem, Like you posted back in 2016, they still never have fixed it.

So ELVIS has Indeed left the building.

there is no .adf offered on ELVIS, that I saw. Its just ridiculous.

With the Basque material (I can still speak Basque good) I can open all of what I download instantly, In TransDEM or ArcGIS.

You know that Feature you have in TransDEM?, The useful part that you can use CAD files of Railways, Well, we have ours all public. And, I will tell you, just to let you know, It opens, and it lays all the track, and does all the cuttings, and what YOU say it does, Including grades..

So Im going to tell those silly "Australian Agencies" to stop false advertising, And saying that things are open, and "Creative Commons", when they really are not.

I could get into "Area 51" faster, than I could download a proper Topo map of Melbourne, or Any other state in Australia.

Anyway, Its not TransDEM's fault, its great software, And its Manual is easy to understand, its just a matter of getting the proper information to feed into it. (I can speak 4 Languages, 5 If you include English)

Chris.

Last edited by chrisj2110 on 25 Feb 2021 06:20, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2018 02:20 

G'day Chris2110,

I have absolutely NO ISSUES using Elvis, Arkaitz, so long as I make sure I select the "ESRI Ascii Grid" 'output format' option along with the "Map Grid of Australia" 'Coordinate System' option, before clicking the download button. This provides files in the *.asc format, which TransDEM handles with ease...

..as for the file size, especially when dealing with the higher resolution data, the trick is to 'take' many smaller chunks and use the 'new' feature in TransDEM 2.6.2 to open them two or three at a time (as many as your available memory will allow) to create a full DEM to cover the area of interest..

..I have also "settled" on using no other source than "Open Topo Map" for all my Australian topographic requirements. The clear and accurate representations of these maps are unsurpassed, elsewhere (at least until GeoScience Australia releases their 1:25,000 scale paper maps in digital format under the Creative Commons Licence - which I can't see happening anywhere in the foreseeable future) These, of course, are all procured 'automatically' through the "Map Tile Server" option in TransDEM...

Jerker {:)}

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2018 06:25 

Jerker wrote:
G'day Chris2110,

I have absolutely NO ISSUES using Elvis, Arkaitz, so long as I make sure I select the "ESRI Ascii Grid" 'output format' option along with the "Map Grid of Australia" 'Coordinate System' option, before clicking the download button. This provides files in the *.asc format, which TransDEM handles with ease...

..as for the file size, especially when dealing with the higher resolution data, the trick is to 'take' many smaller chunks and use the 'new' feature in TransDEM 2.6.2 to open them two or three at a time (as many as your available memory will allow) to create a full DEM to cover the area of interest..

..I have also "settled" on using no other source than "Open Topo Map" for all my Australian topographic requirements. The clear and accurate representations of these maps are unsurpassed, elsewhere (at least until GeoScience Australia releases their 1:25,000 scale paper maps in digital format under the Creative Commons Licence - which I can't see happening anywhere in the foreseeable future) These, of course, are all procured 'automatically' through the "Map Tile Server" option in TransDEM...

I will Try with that again, After that, I will forget it. They can keep their "restricted" maps, and put them you know where.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2018 04:40 

Hello. Sorry for not being here for a while. I have been moving. And had one hell of a time getting my Internet restored. It took me ages to discover, that some numbskull, had cut the phone wires while renovating!! Fixing it, was a hell of a lot more easy than getting a map from GeoScience Australia! Thats for sure.

I wish to report that ELVIS and Open-Topo Maps was the Solution.

Using Shapefiles and if none exist, Use Your own KML, also helps get the right maps.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2018 01:06 

G'day chrisj2110,

I was beginning to wonder what had happened to you, so to hear that your absence was caused by the mere act of moving is reassuring and I am pleased to see you have returned to the fray. I was not pleased to hear of your subsequent 'internet' difficulties! Dare I say; it is difficult for one to soar like an eagle when one is surrounded by turkeys!!...

...I was even more gratified to learn that my solution provided you with more success than you had had previously. I look forward to seeing your 'magnum opus' finally published...

P.S.

I also see, although I know you can't (because I haven't provided my location in my profile), that we appear to both be located in the same 'town'. I reside in the north western suburbs of it, I wonder where it is that you might be?..

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2018 02:13 

Jerker wrote:
G'day chrisj2110,

I was beginning to wonder what had happened to you, so to hear that your absence was caused by the mere act of moving is reassuring and I am pleased to see you have returned to the fray. I was not pleased to hear of your subsequent 'internet' difficulties! Dare I say; it is difficult for one to soar like an eagle when one is surrounded by turkeys!!...

...I was even more gratified to learn that my solution provided you with more success than you had had previously. I look forward to seeing your 'magnum opus' finally published...

P.S.

I also see, although I know you can't (because I haven't provided my location in my profile), that we appear to both be located in the same 'town'. I reside in the north western suburbs of it, I wonder where it is that you might be?..

Hey there,

I had More Computer Problems. I just solved it all, by doing a complete upgrade. (Much Nicer and Faster!)

Now back to the Australian Maps. I found Six Maps (NSW) And QTopo, Six Maps would be good, If I could Figure out how to set it up in TransDem. (I have seen it set up in ArcGIS) But QTopo and other QLD Mapping services, They are strange, and DONT come in GeoTiff. (Damn!) I have Shapefiles for those, and Now Perth, So that should make life easier, using Open Topo. But... There is one tiny bit of weidness in Open Topo In Perth CBD, When zoomed in to a proper zoom... Parts of the CBD Disappears! Important parts too, like Claisebrook and it Depot, and The Whole East Perth!, So that wrecks it, it also Causes an error in TransDEM! So I have Perth on Hold for the Moment. The problem seems to be with open topo. It happens in the Web Browser too.

By the way, Six Maps (NSW) and the QTopo is Creative Commons, so nobody should have any problems!

the URL for six Maps - http://maps.six.nsw.gov.au/

I need to find the bookmarks for the others.

Chris.

Last edited by chrisj2110 on 25 Feb 2021 06:21, edited 1 time in total.