TransDEM News, Support, Hints and Resources
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 17:30

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: 3d Tiles
PostPosted: 09 Nov 2015 04:47 

Where is the best place to download 3d UTM tiles? :?:

Post subject: Re: 3d Tiles
PostPosted: 09 Nov 2015 10:03 

There could be a misunderstanding here. 3D UTM tiles are created by TransDEM on the fly, with the existing route terrain taken as the source to shape the tile and given map/plan/orthoimage overlays for its texture. You may have something different in mind?

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2015 20:42 

Then were would I get the data that I see being used, just the white image overlay. All I have now is the image that is colored like you would see in google earth. Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2015 16:40 

With TransDEM UTM tiles and TransDEM ground textures you have two different options of bringing map/orthoimage textures into your Trainz route.

The standard approach is to use a map (up to 1:25,000) for the ground textures. These have limited resolution as there is only one pixel per 5 or 10m, depending on the Trainz terrain grid chosen. Orthoimages don't make much sense for ground textures if you want to work with them as a building aid. They will look quite blurred. Instead, the standard approach will delegate orthoimages to UTM tiles. This is much sharper and you will be able to identify all the details.

There is also the alternate approach. In that approach, automatic ground textures are seen as - partially - final and blur is accepted. The textures are intended to serve as background, and in this case orthoimages make sense. For this kind of usage, the TransDEM orthoimage custom texture set should be applied. In the alternate approach, UTM tiles will be used as building aid. And here a map, preferably of a larger scale, should be used.

The map can be any map georeferenced in TransDEM and it often depends on your route location to determine which map data source may be suitable.

I guess it is that map which you describe as "white". Large scale topo maps and plans are often black and white, black ink on white paper/background, and white is the dominant color.