TransDEM Forum

TransDEM News, Support, Hints and Resources
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 18:33

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2014 00:48 

I have tried it multiple times with the same reply.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2014 02:34 

bslep,

The shape file may be empty. Look at the file "Trans_RailFeature.shp" in Windows Explorer. If the size of it is only 1KB, or more exactly 100 bytes, it is probably empty. Not all shape files are populated with data. Try this shape file - "Trans_RoadSegment.shp". That probably has data in it.

Even though the file size says 100 bytes, they are most likely header information with no actual data under the headers.

Andrew

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2014 20:50 

SharkNose, yes, you were right, the file is only 100 bytes, I did try the roadfeature, and it worked. I tried all of the shapefiles, but it was the only one that opened. My question is, is it only roads?

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2014 21:21 

geophil might have more knowledge of why the shape file contents are so lacking, but any of the ones I've downloaded only had the roads. I remember getting another one several months ago that had roads and another type, but I forget which one it was. Still, it wasn't very useful. Searching the USGS site might provide more information too.

I also remember using one of the TransDEM built-in links, I think it was an Open-Streets layer that had rail vector data. I did a small CSX yard in Pennsylvania and it was spot on for all the yard tracks and leads except for 2 small crossovers. I forget whether I saw that in one of the TransDEM manuals or from the forums here.

Andrew

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2014 21:56 

As far as I know the data source for both the current vector based series of the 1:24k GeoPDF topo maps and the 1:24k shape files is the same. And USGS posted information on their website a year ago that the railroad layer had been left empty for the 2009 to 2012 editions of the GeoPDF maps and is only starting to be filled since the spring 2013 edition.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2014 22:16 

Are there any alternative forms of vector data, other than the National Map Viewer, and making your own?

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2014 23:21 

Well, this might be nearer "making your own", but it is based on vectors present in OSM. See this tutorial:

Open Street Map Vector Data in TransDEM with JOSM

This is what I was referring to in my earlier post. It is rather involved and I haven't used this method much, but I do remember being very satisfied with the results. It requires another free software package called JOSM. It can be downloaded from the url in the above post.

Edit: I just retried this process and it still works well with the latest version of JOSM (version '6891'). It wasn't as involved as I thought it was. It only took me 15 minutes to vector map the railways around Winslow Jct. NJ.

Note the round dotted lines indicating abandoned railway! JOSM and OSM vectored them too!

Here's the same route over the DEM of the area:

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2014 20:45 

I started doing the tutorial, but using the area I'm trying to make. I started doing the tutorial, I but I only got this far:

It seems that it won't let me "get map" or give me any coordinates...... Is anything wrong with this?

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2014 22:03 

Yes, I believe your next step is to click on the big "right arrow" button to the left of "Global Scale Factor". This puts your selected area into the "Scale" and "Coordinates" areas. That should enable your "Get Map" button and allow you to continue.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2014 16:13 

Thank you SharkNose, it worked!