TransDEM Forum

TransDEM News, Support, Hints and Resources
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 16:30

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Re: Open Street Map
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2014 14:28 

You should update your map tile settings, download the latest from my webpage.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2014 09:02 

Thanks Roland, I'll give that a try.

Edit: 2.5 up and running and talking to the Cycling Map, good stuff!

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2014 23:13 

Thank you very much geophil sharing this useful infos (I am Jigoku from email).

Very long to load in 56 kos (internet) but it works : http://www.internet-underground.org/public/trainz2006/Image4.jpg

Now I have to find out what I am suppose to do after that...

Arigatou "(^.^)"

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2016 17:20 

Open Topo Map

A new Open Street Map rendering has been pointed out to me on the Zusi forum: OpenTopoMap. It's a German university project and - be warned - their servers are rather slow. The idea is to render Open Street Map data like the classic hand-drawn topographic map, including contour lines and shading, and using the typical topographic map symbols. Contour lines and shading are based on SRTM data which means rather low resolution.

To add Open Topo Map to TransDEM, copy the following code to a text editor, save as a file, name it OpenTopoMap.xml or something similar, and import it into the TransDEM Map Tile Client.

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1" ?>

<TileServer version="1.0" >
  <Provider name="Open Topo Map" guid="4054889f-ba0c-4af6-8f9a-16eb74e9af3a" >
    <URL guid="03d8b930-5364-4c3f-a5dc-1d67d06783be" addr="https://tile.opentopomap.org" standalone="1" type="1" postfix=".png" >
      <Matrix prefixClm="/" prefixRow="/" minZoom="1" maxZoom="18" order="2" />
      <Mercator origLat="90" origLon="-180" signLat="-1" signLon="1" projection="4" />
    </URL>
  </Provider>
</TileServer>

Here are a number of examples, in no particular order, comparing OSM standard rendering to Open Topo Map rendering:

Fraser River Canyon, British Columbia, Canada
Image Image
Image Image

Todmorden, West Yorkshire, England
Image Image
Image Image

Loreley Rock, River Rhine Gorge, Germany
Image Image
Image Image

Demadora Loop, Hill Country, Sri Lanka
Image Image
Image Image

Trans Mongolian Railway, near Ulan Bator
Image Image
Image Image

"Big 10" curve, near Denver, Colorado, USA
Image Image
Image Image

Brocken, Harz Mountains, Germany
Image Image
Image Image

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2016 12:32 

Thanks for posting that, Roland. Obviously the data is the same but the better contrast might help in identifying features more clearly in Trainz.

Two other offshoots of OSM it might be worth mentioning...

First off I believe there is an "Open Rail" map based on OSM in an early state of existence. I've looked at this but probably not much benefit in terms of the actual mapping for our purposes.

I also came across a German OSM https://www.openstreetmap.de/karte.html which replaces the native spelling policy of base OSM with English place names, useful in locations such as Japan or China/Korea where it can be quite painstaking to decipher the Kanji, etc. This would be useful to have in Transdem.

Edit: H'mmm I see what you mean about the unreliability of the Open Topo site. Out of curiosity I decided to do an extract for part of the Sri Lanka route shown above. I traced the path using normal OSM then switched to Topo for the 1:50000 detail. On the first attempt it locked everything solid, second and third times it got about hallway along the ~160km route and aborted with an "Unknown Error" message. So it will be very good once the service is more stable, but maybe not quite ready for prime time just yet.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2016 09:22 

BigVern wrote:
I also came across a German OSM https://www.openstreetmap.de/karte.html which replaces the native spelling policy of base OSM with English place names, useful in locations such as Japan or China/Korea where it can be quite painstaking to decipher the Kanji, etc. This would be useful to have in Transdem.
I have seen this incarnation of OSM on a few other web sites, too. Yes, it appears to have all text in the Latin alphabet, and it's also slightly different from the "Mapnik" standard, but is still a street map. Latin lettering, of course, is indeed quite helpful for us Westerners.

I didn't find a direct link to the tile server, and the default access is encrypted (HTTPS, secure socket layer). I could have searched the client side java script, but I decided to use a protocol analyser, as a "man in the middle", to decrypt the messages, because that would be quickest. (Never trust any "man in the middle" unless you put him there yourself and are fully aware of the risks.)

So here it is, openstreetmap.de for TransDEM:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1" ?>

<TileServer version="1.0" >
  <Provider curName="Open Street Map" name="5 Open Street Map" guid="ee04c9c2-a82d-42be-9299-217a143edcca" >
    <URL name="osm.de" guid="a5fae1f7-8351-40dd-ad83-03e8334c3bed" addr="http://tile.openstreetmap.de" prefix="tiles/osmde/" standalone="1" type="6" postfix=".png" >
      <Matrix prefixClm="/" prefixRow="/" minZoom="1" maxZoom="18" order="2" />
      <Mercator origLat="90" origLon="-180" signLat="-1" signLon="1" projection="4" />
    </URL>
  </Provider>
</TileServer>

To add OpenStreetMap.de to TransDEM, copy the preceding code to a text editor, save as a file, name it osmde.xml or something similar, and import it into the TransDEM Map Tile Client.

It will appear under "Open Street Map" in TransDEM, as "osm.de" in 2.6, and as "Other 3" in older versions.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2016 16:19 

Excellent, thanks Roland.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2018 12:23 

In my German Post on viewtopic.php?f=12&t=96&p=2785#p2785 I have added my configuration for Thunderforest map tile servers. They offer several interesting variants of the OSM map data. Especially interesting are the Transport, Transport Dark and Pioneer maps. See more at https://thunderforest.com/

Before importing the XML-config from my post, you'll have to register at Thunderforest, this is free for hobby-projects. You'll get an API key. In the configuration XML-text I posted, you'll have to replace <apiKey> with your API key. Then you should be able to import the Thunderforest provider into TransDEM.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2018 19:56 

couven92 wrote:
You'll get an API key.
What I have on my todo list is to allow API keys for matrix and quad-tree tile addressing. That would obfuscate the API key and allow us to distribute settings without it. At the moment explicit API key support is bundled with the direct coordinate address scheme.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2018 20:06 

Yeah, I realized that when I originally created the settings for Thunderforest. But well, appending the string in the postfix field does work fine.

Anyway, the Thunderforest variants are interesting variations to the default OpenStreetMap tiles, so I thought I'd share in case other people besides me want to try them out :) I'm not necessarily suggesting to include them in the sample settings you distribute with TransDEM as it does require some customisation. But it's still easy enough to do for people if they read my post, so there you go :D