TransDEM Forum

TransDEM News, Support, Hints and Resources
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 16:30

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Re: Geo Data - Ireland
PostPosted: 04 Jul 2013 21:55 

Ah sorry Roland. Just noticed that. I've tried using the public viewer a few times to try and get a map into TransDEM but I just get a black screen. Am I right in thinking I should be using the web map tile server option to do this?

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2013 06:07 

G'day geophil,

...indeed, Roland, it is (my humble apologies for repeating yourself)...

G'day PFX72,

...regrettably, the WMS (or Tile Map Server) is of no use in this case. As Roland intimated in his previous response, you must use the 'screen-capture', 'image crop' and 'manual georeference' method to obtain the data from this site...

...having advised you of that, there is one other option available to you, if you have 'the luck of the Irish' in your favour. I have a number of routes based on many of the former (and still extant) railways in Ireland. If one of them were to be of the 'line' you are seeking to reproduce AND you can obtain permission from the original requester of these routes (to allow me to do so), I would be more than happy to pass it on to you, thus saving you much work (and I would venture, much angst)...

Jerker {:)}

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2013 11:25 

The map tile service with the historical maps, described in the second post in this thread, also appears to work.

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2013 13:52 

Jerker wrote:
...regrettably, the WMS (or Tile Map Server) is of no use in this case. As Roland intimated in his previous response, you must use the 'screen-capture', 'image crop' and 'manual georeference' method to obtain the data from this site...

...having advised you of that, there is one other option available to you, if you have 'the luck of the Irish' in your favour. I have a number of routes based on many of the former (and still extant) railways in Ireland. If one of them were to be of the 'line' you are seeking to reproduce AND you can obtain permission from the original requester of these routes (to allow me to do so), I would be more than happy to pass it on to you, thus saving you much work (and I would venture, much angst)...

Hi Jerker. Thanks for that offer. There are a number of routes I'd like to recreate, one being the Dublin Connolly to Belfast Central route. I'm loosely working with domsarto who is currently producing some great rolling stock so a route which utilises any of those (141 class, G class, 2700/2800 class) would be ideal, as you can see, I work post steam era.

Would it be possible to let me know what routes you have and I can approach the relevant person if one of them should be suitable?

As for the manual georeferencing, can ModellerMJ's tutorial on georeferencing google earth images be used with the OSI maps or is it a different process? Sorry, I've never used transDEM for anythign other than DEM data,
Cheers,
Innis

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2013 14:30 

PFX72 wrote:
As for the manual georeferencing, can ModellerMJ's tutorial on georeferencing google earth images be used with the OSI maps or is it a different process? Sorry, I've never used transDEM for anythign other than DEM data,
TransDEM has a number of functions for manual georeferencing. The Google Earth method is the one with placemarks which is Google Earth-specific. Tutorial #1 in the TransDEM main manual illustrates the 3+1 pt method. This can be applied to the OSI map viewer screenshots. You can most probably also use the new TIN method which originally addresses really complicated cases, but should work with just 2 points as well.

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2013 02:58 

G'day PFX72,

...good heavens, Innis, I completely forgot about the Historic UK Tile Map Server option, silly me (thanks for the reminder, Roland)!!! That will certainly change the state of the game and make things so much easier for you to do it yourself (that way, you get exactly what you want and Roland and I - and the rest if the TransDEM 'community' - will be here to assist). I would recommend that path before any other and we can then resort to my other offer if it all falls into a big heap (which, I am sure it won't). Besides, I can't remember which of the numerous routes of which I spoke contains Belfast to Dublin (with the modern day route) and I would need time to go through them to ascertain this...

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2013 20:33 

Thanks guys. If I get stuck, I'll open a new thread in the appropriate section.

Cheers,
Innis