TransDEM Forum

TransDEM News, Support, Hints and Resources
It is currently 22 Jul 2018 00:31

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: 25 Jun 2018 13:31 
Offline

Joined: 08 Jun 2013 21:59
Posts: 4
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
It seems like the Geospatial Scene is pretty much dead in Australia, In any state. There does not seem to be a way to get any information or downloads for Perth, Vic, SA or WA, It seems like this information and is only available for certain people. So, TransDEM is pretty useless to me now.

Thanks for nothing.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 25 Jun 2018 21:41 
Offline

Joined: 05 Jan 2011 16:45
Posts: 1091
What kind of geo data do you need? The only thing dead - for years now - is WMS.

You get DEMs from ELVIS and there is also 10 and 20m for Victoria (and possibly others I am not aware of).

And for maps, all the global Map Tile services are available (and quite likely some national or state services I do not know about, like the one for Tasmania we detected a few months ago).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 26 Jun 2018 04:42 
Offline

Joined: 08 Jun 2013 21:59
Posts: 4
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
geophil wrote:
What kind of geo data do you need? The only thing dead - for years now - is WMS.

You get DEMs from ELVIS and there is also 10 and 20m for Victoria (and possibly others I am not aware of).

And for maps, all the global Map Tile services are available (and quite likely some national or state services I do not know about, like the one for Tasmania we detected a few months ago).


Yes, WMS seems pretty dead, And any Topo Maps I have found are in useless resolutions.

And a QLD Topo series, that looked promising, just would not load, and gave me an error.

And so did 5 Meter DEM of Victoria in Geotiff format. It just would not load. (Im glad I did not download the other states)

So I just gave up there. Its only a matter of time before I give Victoria the toss as well.

The Topo Maps, Just help with the Cuttings, and Embankments. And Im not going to buy them after how rude the people were. And especially when Im not charging anything for what Im creating. So that Western Australia, and South Australia got cancelled by me real fast. I just cant be bothered dealing with bureaucrats. The People are not even bureaucrats, they just act like they are important.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 26 Jun 2018 08:59 
Offline

Joined: 05 Jan 2011 16:45
Posts: 1091
WMS for Australia was 1:250,000 for the entire country and 1:50,000 for NSW and Victoria. At this scale and the available feature data for those maps, cuttings and embankments would not show. You will at least get the same, and in many cases better data, with Open Street Map (or Open Topo Map as an alternative rendering).

For ELVIS, 5m DEMs, or GeoTIFF, these were the findings in 2016:
https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthr ... f-problems

I was able to load Victoria state DEMs, 10 and 20m, in .adf format, with TransDEM 2.6.2 and higher.

I understand Australian states are more or less independent regarding geospatial data - very much like the federal states (Bundesländer) here in Germany, so we have to deal with a number of agencies/authorities and their technical solutions, including different policies on open and/or commercial and otherwise restricted data.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 26 Jun 2018 19:42 
Offline

Joined: 08 Jun 2013 21:59
Posts: 4
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
geophil wrote:
WMS for Australia was 1:250,000 for the entire country and 1:50,000 for NSW and Victoria. At this scale and the available feature data for those maps, cuttings and embankments would not show. You will at least get the same, and in many cases better data, with Open Street Map (or Open Topo Map as an alternative rendering).

For ELVIS, 5m DEMs, or GeoTIFF, these were the findings in 2016:
https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthr ... f-problems

I was able to load Victoria state DEMs, 10 and 20m, in .adf format, with TransDEM 2.6.2 and higher.

I understand Australian states are more or less independent regarding geospatial data - very much like the federal states (Bundesländer) here in Germany, so we have to deal with a number of agencies/authorities and their technical solutions, including different policies on open and/or commercial and otherwise restricted data.


Well, they can keep their "restricted data" Im going to concentrate my efforts elsewhere. Sad, but its the reality. as you probably know. I was doing The whole Network of Victoria, Australia, with someone else, and he is just as annoyed by this behaviour, by Australian Agencies.

Anyway, after November, I wont have to worry about "Australian Agencies" beacuse Im going back home To the Basque Country (and no.. Its nothing to do with Geodata, its just their whole way of dealing with things, that I have began to totally hate, Im going back for personal reasons, Family, and things that really matter like that)

Talking of Geodata and the Basque Country, We are certainly a lot more open, than others claim to be. We have 5m DEM, And I hear that we have some higher resolution LIDAR. and it is not just coastal, heading our way.

ELVIS, I coudn't get their supposed GeoTIFF rubbish to open in TransDem, Like you posted back in 2016, they still never have fixed it.

So ELVIS has Indeed left the building.

there is no .adf offered on ELVIS, that I saw. Its just ridiculous.

With the Basque material (I can still speak Basque good) I can open all of what I download instantly, In TransDEM or ArcGIS.

You know that Feature you have in TransDEM?, The useful part that you can use CAD files of Railways, Well, we have ours all public. And, I will tell you, just to let you know, It opens, and it lays all the track, and does all the cuttings, and what YOU say it does, Including grades..

So Im going to tell those silly "Australian Agencies" to stop false advertising, And saying that things are open, and "Creative Commons", when they really are not.

I could get into "Area 51" faster, than I could download a proper Topo map of Melbourne, or Any other state in Australia.


Anyway, Its not TransDEM's fault, its great software, And its Manual is easy to understand, its just a matter of getting the proper information to feed into it. (I can speak 4 Languages, 5 If you include English)

Arkaitz. (My name)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 01 Jul 2018 02:20 
Offline

Joined: 30 Jan 2011 13:03
Posts: 160
G'day Chris2110,

I have absolutely NO ISSUES using Elvis, Arkaitz, so long as I make sure I select the "ESRI Ascii Grid" 'output format' option along with the "Map Grid of Australia" 'Coordinate System' option, before clicking the download button. This provides files in the *.asc format, which TransDEM handles with ease...

..as for the file size, especially when dealing with the higher resolution data, the trick is to 'take' many smaller chunks and use the 'new' feature in TransDEM 2.6.2 to open them two or three at a time (as many as your available memory will allow) to create a full DEM to cover the area of interest..

..I have also "settled" on using no other source than "Open Topo Map" for all my Australian topographic requirements. The clear and accurate representations of these maps are unsurpassed, elsewhere (at least until GeoScience Australia releases their 1:25,000 scale paper maps in digital format under the Creative Commons Licence - which I can't see happening anywhere in the foreseeable future) These, of course, are all procured 'automatically' through the "Map Tile Server" option in TransDEM...

Jerker {:)}


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2018 06:25 
Offline

Joined: 08 Jun 2013 21:59
Posts: 4
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
Jerker wrote:
G'day Chris2110,

I have absolutely NO ISSUES using Elvis, Arkaitz, so long as I make sure I select the "ESRI Ascii Grid" 'output format' option along with the "Map Grid of Australia" 'Coordinate System' option, before clicking the download button. This provides files in the *.asc format, which TransDEM handles with ease...

..as for the file size, especially when dealing with the higher resolution data, the trick is to 'take' many smaller chunks and use the 'new' feature in TransDEM 2.6.2 to open them two or three at a time (as many as your available memory will allow) to create a full DEM to cover the area of interest..

..I have also "settled" on using no other source than "Open Topo Map" for all my Australian topographic requirements. The clear and accurate representations of these maps are unsurpassed, elsewhere (at least until GeoScience Australia releases their 1:25,000 scale paper maps in digital format under the Creative Commons Licence - which I can't see happening anywhere in the foreseeable future) These, of course, are all procured 'automatically' through the "Map Tile Server" option in TransDEM...

Jerker {:)}


I will Try with that again, After that, I will forget it. They can keep their "restricted" maps, and put them you know where.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Imprint & Privacy

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group