TransDEM Forum

TransDEM News, Support, Hints and Resources
It is currently 27 Apr 2024 19:05

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Bitmap maps; Austria
PostPosted: 15 Aug 2011 07:04 

Hi all,

following the video tutorial by Fulda93, I have started with a project in Austria. Everything works fine except for the WMS map overlay, which doesn't seem to work for me. From the map service given by Roland's collection, I can of course get aerial photos along my path, but in TS for Mac those show only up on "ground level" and are simply cut off, where hills elevate. I can't get them be projected on my landscape as supposed to be.

Apart from that I also tried to use some different WMS service for Austria - there seems to be a good source on www.geoland.at, but I can't get it running in TransDEM properly. All I get is an error message that says that there is no error. (how bizarre... ;-))

Any suggestions as to solve these two issues?
Apart from that, everything works fine - even via Parallels Desktop on a Mac ;-)

Post subject: Re: Bitmap maps; Austria
PostPosted: 15 Aug 2011 08:47 

Tobi79AT wrote:
following the video tutorial by Fulda93, I have started with a project in Austria. Everything works fine except for the WMS map overlay, which doesn't seem to work for me.
The address of the Bavarian WMS, used in the video tutorial, has changed since. This is the new one: http://www.geodaten.bayern.de/ogc/getogc.cgi?
(I have updated the sample settings yesterday: http://forum.transdem.de/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=95.)

Quote:
From the map service given by Roland's collection, I can of course get aerial photos along my path, but in TS for Mac those show only up on "ground level" and are simply cut off, where hills elevate. I can't get them be projected on my landscape as supposed to be.
The "UTM tiles" are simple texture carrier objects. They are fabricated by cloning a template flat object and then applying an individual texture to it. UTM tiles do not adapt to terrain shape. You can, however, raise or lower these objects in Surveyor. (The rationale behind UTM tiles is the limited ground texture resolution for maps, caused by the internal design of the Trainz terrain structure. Maximum map scale is approx. 1:25,000 for the 5m terrain grid. Anything larger than that, like ortho-imagery, has to go to UTM tiles.)

Quote:
Apart from that I also tried to use some different WMS service for Austria - there seems to be a good source on http://www.geoland.at, but I can't get it running in TransDEM properly. All I get is an error message that says that there is no error. (how bizarre... ;-))
Tried myself, no luck either. Will need further investigation. Unfortunately, there are many different interpretations of the WMS "standard".

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2011 09:05 

Thank you very much for your quick and detailed reply.

In fact, I did follow the video tutorial but already worked along using the Austrian area I want to work on...

I did also try exporting the UTM tiles and having those be shown as a layer in the Surveyor, but I could not find a possibility to change their height above my playground - how can I realise this in the Surveyor?

Some additional info: For the WMS generated tiles along my path, I can clearly see them on the Minimap in the Surveyor, but they to not appear on my baseboards. I also tried a map that I manually scanned, georeferenced it in TransDEM (easy!) and exported again. Same story: it does show up on the Minimap, but not on the baseboards. All layers are of course set visible.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2011 09:21 

For the map textures appearing on the Trainz mini-map, but not on the ground, you probably did not yet install the TransDEM ground textures. See the TransDEM Trainz manual, page 8 in the English edition.

To raise or lower UTM tiles in Surveyor: As these are ordinary Trainz objects they can be manipulated just like other objects. In Surveyor open the Objects fly-out menu and select the Raise/Lower tool. At first touch the UTM tile may snap back but will then respond obediently to mouse movements.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2011 10:24 

Thanks a lot for the info - your suppory is highly appreciated! Will give it a try later today (and read the manual more carefully... ;-))

I have seen that www.openstreetmap.org has some good maps available for Austria. Anyone got some experience how to get the data as WMS in TransDEM?

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2011 16:48 

* Installed the ground textures - everything fine in this regard.

* Moving the UTM tiles up and down works also - thanks again

Started playing with Maps from OpenStreetMap via www.osm-wms.de - can connect (using http://129.206.229.158/cached/osm) and select, but when I execute to download the maps, I get an error saying:

"400: Requested horizontal resolution: 1.405664062500006E-4, best match: 1.71661376953125E-4 exceeds 10% threshold. Perhaps the client is configured with an incorrect set of scales (resolutions), or the DPO setting is off compared to the one in GWC?"

Any ideas?
Thanks again.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2011 03:22 

G'day Tobi79AT,

I don't understand why you seem to be obtaining the map clippings from OpenStreetMap directly (from their original website source), for use in TransDEM, when TransDEM already gives you the capability of downloading the same files via the Tile Map server capability within the program, itself???

...Open the Raster Map Menu and select 'Tile Map Server' from the list. When the Dialogue Box opens, on the right side at the top, click on the Map source Drop Down Text Box and choose 'Open Street Map' from the list. Click on the Tile Type Text Box and select 'Map' from the list...

...after the map of the world appears in the display box, zoom into the area you want, until the zoom value shows about 15 or 16 and from there, adjust the 'view' to suit your requirements. Move the map about using the top, bottom, left and right arrows (to the side of the display box) to obtain the desired area within the view and when you are happy, click on the [Get Map] button at the bottom of the Dialogue Box. Move the map, again to the next point along the line you want to follow and click the [Get Map] button, again. Continue this until all of the desired maps have been 'procured'. TransDEM can 'automate' this function if you provide a polyline for the function to follow and then select the "Map images along path" option (which won't be "available" until a polyline is provided) in the Mode Panel before clicking the [Get Map] button ...

Jerker {:)}

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2011 06:40 

Hmmm...
Stupid beginner's question, I admit.
J: 1
T: 0
;-)

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2011 16:13 

Two of the Austrian Bundesländer-WMS, listed on the geoland.at website, offer the Austrian topographic map 1:50000. These are Kärnten and Oberösterreich. The layer is called "OEK50".

Kärnten: http://gis.ktn.gv.at/wmsconnector/com.esri.wms.Esrimap/geoland_wms
Oberösterreich: http://ags.doris.at/arcgis/services/Basisdaten/GeoLand/MapServer/WMSServer