TransDEM Forum

TransDEM News, Support, Hints and Resources
It is currently 27 Apr 2024 17:47

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Incompatible Placemark
PostPosted: 21 Jun 2011 03:35 

I have followed the instructions for saving kmz and jpg files from google earth. (Followed the setup in the instruction manual)
When I switch to Transdem, I successfully open the kmz but then get "incompatible placemark" error - go back and rest north and reset tilt in google earth.
Have done that a number of times now with the same result.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2011 06:55 

I looked into the source code: Heading and Tilt are the only causes for this message. In Google Earth use the N and U keys to reset north and tilt before you create a placemark.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2011 03:46 

I was going back and correcting with N and U instead of starting with a new placemark - followed your instruction and succeeded - thank you.

I have gotten as far as actually having a functioning DEM, georeff raster map, and route.

When I then create the new map and send to Trainz, it seems to work without error - but never actually shows up in Trainz. (I do have favorites only unchecked - so it's not that issue).

Since I am not getting an error and followed Tutorial 1 in the manual, do not know what to do!

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2011 09:48 

Did you receive any warnings when importing to Trainz other then pure cosmetic ones?

One cause for a route not showing up in Surveyor - even with "favourites only" turned off - could be a duplicate KUID. If a new route is assigned the same KUID as an existing route, the new route will not show up.

Did you enter your Auran user ID in TransDEM? Did you let TransDEM determine the object part of the KUID? And you did not reset the TransDEM KUID cache?

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2011 14:59 

I did set my userid
I do have objects checked
I did try clearing the KUID cache
Still no result in Trainz
I did get an error message "Inconsistent file names/and or missing one or more map folders"
Maps will not be available in selection list

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2011 17:44 

Resetting the KUID cache may cause trouble as KUIDs will be erroneously reused.

Anyway, it sounds like being messed-up. I assume you are still at the beginning of your route project and nothing has been produced until now which cannot be easily re-created.

Therefore I suggest to start over.

In Trainz Content Manager "revert" everything open for edit.

Then delete everything in the Trainz "edit" folder.

Finally find those of your own test routes in Trainz Content Manager which were created by TransDEM and delete them. Search by using your User ID.

Let TransDEM create your Trainz route again. Check the route name in the "edit" folder and the route KUID. You will find the KUID in the config.txt file of the route.

Import the newly created route (and any UTM tiles) with Trainz Content Manager. Check the KUID again. It should be listed in Content Manager and should be the same as in config.txt, and also matching the route name.

Launch Trainz and start Surveyor.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2011 03:37 

You are correct - only a couple of miles in order to understand the concepts.
I'll give it a try and report back.
Thanks

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2011 16:29 

It worked!
:D
Thanks for taking the time to step me through this - now to something beyond 8,000 ft.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2011 19:38 

philabos wrote:
It worked!

Good to hear this! :)