TransDEM Forum

TransDEM News, Support, Hints and Resources
It is currently 27 Apr 2024 12:47

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2023 20:49 

Hello,

Is there a program which shows you the contents ( readable style ) of an obs file, a lyr file?

As my route is in TRS2019, adding UTM-files is not possible due to a format change in TRS2019. Or better said, format change after Trainz Tane sp2

I was thinking of a workaround with the creation of a new Transdem route and UTM-files of the same region as my route in TRS2019.

After the creation of the new Transdem route and UTM-files, I was thinking about copying the Transdem-UTM layer to my existing route.

Can anyone tell me the composition and contents of a new added layer file?

Thank you.

Kind regards

Kurt

Last edited by Belgian46 on 13 Mar 2023 12:36, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2023 11:28 

Belgian46 wrote:
Is there a program which shows you the contents ( readable style ) of an obs file, a lyr file?

Oh, yes please. :idea:

No, seriously: I tried to figure out the changes with T:ANE SP2 but in the end gave up. It wasn't so much the splitting into per-baseboard files, but the unknown new elements they added. N3V didn't want to tell me, instead they suggested to look at the 3rd party plugin API instead. But the TransDEM workflow was not compatible, TransDEM would have lost all of its efficiency. I guess the N3V developers never really understood the way TransDEM works and may not have cared.

The other simulator I am supporting with TransDEM, the German Zusi, with a huge market share in professional driver training, never had any problems with making route file structures public.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2023 12:35 

geophil wrote:
Belgian46 wrote:

Oh, yes please. :idea:

No, seriously: I tried to figure out the changes with T:ANE SP2 but in the end gave up. It wasn't so much the splitting into per-baseboard files, but the unknown new elements they added. N3V didn't want to tell me, instead they suggested to look at the 3rd party plugin API instead. But the TransDEM workflow was not compatible, TransDEM would have lost all of its efficiency. I guess the N3V developers never really understood the way TransDEM works and may not have cared.

The other simulator I am supporting with TransDEM, the German Zusi, with a huge market share in professional driver training, never had any problems with making route file structures public.

Hello Roland,

Thank you for your reply. :)

Interesting to see the policy N3V is taken in not making route file structures and new elements to the Trainz versions public.

Within my route version ( Trs2019 ) ( originaly build 2010 and transfered during the years to Trs2012,Tane, trs2019 ) I created a new layer. But strangly enough, in explorer, I couldn't detect the new obs - lyr file of the new created layer. All files changed to a new data and time.

With Transdem, when starting the creation of a new route, I have to know from the beginning which UTM-files I want to use. In fact, it is better to create all UTM-tiles of the zone the route is laying.

I also tried a test with notepad+ in order to read the obs/lyr files. I could read some elements, but most part was cryptic.

Kind regards

Kurt