TransDEM Forum

TransDEM News, Support, Hints and Resources
It is currently 27 Apr 2024 09:07

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Norwegian DEM
PostPosted: 14 Feb 2024 15:52 

Hi again!

I have managed to Georeference my first map. The national grid system did not matter. I just put in UTM 33 in the zone box.

However the map is now horizontal instead of vertical as it was. Why? Is it my fault or something else?

Greetings Peter

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2024 17:37 

Hi

I have tried a few times to Georeference the map. The first was horizontal, the second up side down, and the third produces a dark screen with the UTM grid on it but no map!

I will keep trying. I am following the manual Tutorial 1, page 91, Entering reference points..

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2024 18:44 

As they told you, it's UTM/ETRS89 with zones 32, 33 or 35. (Zone east/west extension gets pretty small up north). There is no such thing as a modern native Norwegian spatial reference system because it's simply not needed, international (UTM) and European (ETRS89) standards are just fine.

Nonetheless, I still can't figure out how you were able to obtain large scale topo maps as pdf or tif.

I compared Norgeskart on the web viewer with Open Street Map / Open Topo Map and found the content to be identical, no wonder looking at the commitment the Norwegians have toward open source and open standards. The only difference - apart from the rendering - is that Norgeskart allows higher zoom levels, where you can then even make out the roof shapes of houses.

In the API documentation for Norgeskart I find references to WMS and Web map (i.e. map tiles). I will have a closer look.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2024 11:31 

OK, good.

I have come a little further:

I managed to import and georeference the maps from "Høydata". They are OK with plenty of detail. However when I import the DEM from the same website the Georeferenced maps all appear to be wrongly placed on the DEM. They are a long way to the right, though the northern parameters seem to be OK.

I also checked the latitude and longtitude on the East. The East parameter should be about E 126260, whereas those I get from the web and maps are about E438000. This would account for the wrong placement on the DEM.

However, the question then arises: are the DEM coordinates wrong, or the georeferenced maps?

I think I will try getting DEMS from Open Street Maps, and test them there, unless you can suggest a better alternative?

I would like to keep the maps since they are very good detail and colours.

Greetings

Peter Wood

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2024 12:05 

pdw2107 wrote:
OK, good.

I have come a little further:

I managed to import and georeference the maps from "Høydata". They are OK with plenty of detail. However when I import the DEM from the same website the Georeferenced maps all appear to be wrongly placed on the DEM. They are a long way to the right, though the northern parameters seem to be OK.

I also checked the latitude and longtitude on the East. The East parameter should be about E 126260, whereas those I get from the web and maps are about E438000. This would account for the wrong placement on the DEM.

However, the question then arises: are the DEM coordinates wrong, or the georeferenced maps?

I think I will try getting DEMS from Open Street Maps, and test them there, unless you can suggest a better alternative?

I would like to keep the maps since they are very good detail and colours.

Greetings

Peter Wood

Regarding your question on where I got the PDF maps: those came from a different but related server:

https://www.norgeskart.no/#!?project=no ... =396722.00

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2024 11:49 

pdw2107 wrote:
So, did you georeference your map manually, with the 3+1 point method? You may have ended up in the wrong UTM zone.

Quote:
The DEM comes with built-in geo-coordinates. That can be taken as the correct reference.

Quote:
I think I will try getting DEMS from Open Street Maps
You mean raster maps. They don't do elevation data there.

Quote:
Regarding your question on where I got the PDF maps: those came from a different but related server:

https://www.norgeskart.no/#!?project=no ... =396722.00
I see. That's a slightly different map to the one I found.

Nonetheless, you can try the one below for Map Tiles, specs from https://www.geonorge.no/aktuelt/om-geon ... og-api-er/

Download and unpack https://transdem.de/download/public/misc/GeoNorge.zip
or copy the code beneath and save as geonorge.xml
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1" ?>

<TileServer version="1.0" >
  <Provider name="GeoNorge" guid="1ee6ef23-18cf-469c-aedb-0acbeb633507" >
    <URL guid="0a5379cd-c9b3-4a2a-b87c-7e7ff32620b8" addr="http://opencache.statkart.no/" prefix="gatekeeper/gk/gk.open_gmaps?layers=topo4" standalone="1" type="1" >
      <Matrix order="2" prefixClm="&amp;x=" prefixRow="&amp;y=" prefixZoom="&amp;zoom=" minZoom="1" maxZoom="20" />
      <Mercator origLat="90" origLon="-180" signLat="-1" signLon="1" projection="4" />
    </URL>
    <URL name="Nautical" guid="660db5e3-3e00-46b3-a258-72b7964cb8c5" addr="http://opencache.statkart.no/" prefix="gatekeeper/gk/gk.open_gmaps?layers=sjokartraster" standalone="1" type="8" >
      <Matrix order="2" prefixClm="&amp;x=" prefixRow="&amp;y=" prefixZoom="&amp;zoom=" minZoom="1" maxZoom="17" />
      <Mercator origLat="90" origLon="-180" signLat="-1" signLon="1" projection="4" />
    </URL>
  </Provider>
</TileServer>
Import the xml file into the TransDEM map tile client, under "Settings".
You will find it under "GeoNorge".
The online rendering of "norgeskart" is more detailed than the "statkart" map tile rendering for some zoom levels.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2024 10:12 

Hi Roland,

Thanks for that. I tried to download maps from Norgeskart but only got one in the middle of the route. Even when I change the location using the map site, it only delivers one map which is fine, but one is not much use. I used the same DEM as before, so at least it is in the right place in the DEM.

Strange! Do you know what parameters I should change to get a string of maps?

Sorry to bother you with my problems, but I hope this could be useful to others also.

Greetings Peter

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2024 15:45 

pdw2107 wrote:
Strange! Do you know what parameters I should change to get a string of maps?
You need a path. It's described in tutorial #7 in the main manual.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2024 15:45 

Gradually there is success thanks to your help!

I now have Dem, georeferenced maps, and route. All of these work fine.

However, I have a problem with creating basic route files as outlined in your "Tutorial 1, Using TransDem Trainx exporters" from "TransDem Trainz Edition, release 2.4", page 47 onwards.
All is well up to point 10: Export destination.
TransDEM reports that there is an inconsitency with file names. I have Trainz 2019 edition. There is no option in TransDem for this so I entered "TANE", and the a location in the Trainz programme on my computer is:

C:\Program Files\N3V Games\Trainz Railroad Simulator 2019. There are 2 subfolders called "data" and "resources".

I have now given all access to the programme, so there should be no difficulty in writing new files. However what should I give as the export destination for TransDem?

Thanks again,
Peter

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2024 09:53 

pdw2107 wrote:
However what should I give as the export destination for TransDem?
As you can't re-import form TRS2019 the export destination doesn't really matter. Choose any folder you like. You will have to give this folder to Trainz Content Manager when importing to Trainz.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next