TransDEM Forum

TransDEM News, Support, Hints and Resources
It is currently 16 Apr 2024 10:13

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Norwegian DEM
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2022 18:38 

Hei Roland,

I bought TransDem 2.6.4.2. some time ago. I have been trying to download and install Dem data from https://hoydedata.no/LaserInnsyn/ at Høydedata (hoydedata.no). The files given here are as downloaded

But TransDem only sends a warning or says it cannot find the file when I open Transdem to Open DEM on the file menu.

Am I doing something wrong? I have done this before succesfully, so cannot understand why it is not working. Do you have any suggestions please?

Many thanks

Best wishes

Peter Wood
pdw@getmail.no; pdw@wemail.no

Post subject: Re: Norwegian DEM
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2022 18:59 

Hi Peter,

I moved this topic over to here.

I think I have worked with this data source myself but can't find my way around it now (lack of language?).

You say you downloaded some data. And I guess you downloaded DTM (Digital terrain model) which is what we need. What formats are the files?

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2022 11:33 

Thanks Roland,

I have tried to show what I get from https://hoydedata.no/LaserInnsyn/ using "print screen" images. But I don't know how to insert images on this forum?

Basically I had to unzip the files from the website and I get:

Catalogue: dtm 50

and two catalogues under named:
data
and
metadata

Under "data" I get some picture files in tif and twf formats.

Under "metadata" I get files in the following formats: dtm50_klippefil.tpg, and the same with dbf, prj, shp, shx, sos extensions. Also dtm50_tileinndeling.cpg and the same with the same extensions.

Does this mean anything to you?

The website provides everything in English if you choose English on the top bar with a globe symbol. But I don't understand exactly what I should choose. I could choose USGS DEM which is maybe better for TransDEM?

I see that you had a previous post in this forum about the same website.

Hope you can help!

Best wishes
Peter

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2022 11:43 

In addition they give an email address: hoydedata@kartverket.no You can use English.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2022 13:05 

Quote:
I have tried to show what I get from https://hoydedata.no/LaserInnsyn/ using "print screen" images. But I don't know how to insert images on this forum?
To post images you have to host them somewhere external. This forum does not have enough storage for them.

Quote:
The website provides everything in English if you choose English on the top bar with a globe symbol. But I don't understand exactly what I should choose. I could choose USGS DEM which is maybe better for TransDEM?

Oh yes, thanks, I didn't see that. But it didn't help much. This website doesn't like my browsers. Only a glimpse of the map and then it disappears, same with the download tab/pane. So I stare at a mainly blank screen. But I somehow managed to grab and download the pre-packaged DTM 50m as zip (DTM50_UTM33_20220129.zip). Can't reproduce it, though.

Anyway, this package of 778 MB has tif, tfw and aux.xml. The tifs may be GeoTIFF or plain TIFF, I am not sure, but I assume GeoTIFF. They carry the data. I tried one and it worked out of the box:

In that brief moment when the download catalogue was visible I also saw they have pre-packaged 1m data available. Enormous amount of data but absolutely brilliant for route building, even if Trainz can only resolve 5m.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2022 14:30 

So, after my lunch break, at least Firefox surrendered. I was able to order and download some 1 m data.

Compare the results between DTM50 and DTM1:

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2022 14:37 

Briliant Roland,

But my problem is to know what to download, and then get TransDEM to open it. How did you do that?

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2022 15:11 

I can only describe it in words because both my browsers reverted to blank screen for this site.

On the left, with the download pane open and visible, there are two tab options: download pre-packaged data and export a custom area (the tab titles are different). From the pre-packaged selection I picked the DTM 50m file: DTM50_UTM33_20220129.zip

And also there, you'll find DTM 1m, pre-packaged, per region, but huge downloads. So I tried the other tab, with several settings to make. Went for extent of screen, narrowed the map down to a very small area, left all the other defaults, GeoTIFF, compression etc, and sent the order for a custom export. Half an hour later, the reply came with a link to a new zip file, that also took a while before materializing as a valid URL.
My example: https://leveranse.hoydedata.no/553947/5 ... 220204.zip

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2022 15:42 

Thanks Roland. I will try it!

Best wishes

Peter

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2022 16:47 

Another attempt, with a non-blank page in my browser:

Picking DTM50. Points to a downloadable zip.

And here how I composed the custom export:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next