TransDEM Forum

TransDEM News, Support, Hints and Resources
It is currently 28 Apr 2024 00:17

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2020 17:56 

When I first started the project I started with a modest area of I think 11 x 6 UTM tiles at 1000m each.

I captured highly detail images with the map import utility and eventually saved them as a geo-referenced link file. The issue is I'd like to go into this and crop out a 6 x 6 tile area. I'd rather merge routes and take this a bit slower as it seems to perform better as well the smaller they are.

I know how to crop the DEM's and cut out areas I don't want. I'm just not sure how to do it with these images. I think the issue is I'm loading in a link file instead of the actual images perhaps. But I find the cropping options are not available. Even when the DEM is down to the 6x6 the big UTM is still showing.

Any advice or something I'm missing from the manual?

Thanks

Sean

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2020 18:13 

With images: You don't crop them. You set the export mask and/or a (vector) path. You can show the grid, as a guide, for baseboards (720m) or for UTM as fixed raster of 1000m. The path acts as lateral filter.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2020 01:03 

Yeah that is how I got all the images to download. Basically I downloaded that UTM grids worth of maps (I think it was about 400 of them at that detail level). So when I bring the image back I bring in the reference file. But probably doing that much is too much so I was wondering if I can crop it.

I know the images go bigger when they are not as detailed. I think you can have more than 1 level as I was reading in the manual (haven't tried that yet). I liked the detail level for static scenery while I actually paint and put in the the real scenery. Probably a bit overkill. Likewise I was going to bring in the routes from the JOSM which I know you made a tutorial on but believe is overkill as well.

I guess I'm trying to go for a realistic look until I get a chance to fill it in with scenery and as a good guide to place the scenery. I'm always open to suggestions though.

I also have my original route which I handlaid prior to TransDem for about 20 miles. Mostly single track with a couple of small yards. I don't think there is a way of being able to import that now that I'm using the DEM (or at least not that I can think of).

Thanks

Sean