TransDEM Forum

TransDEM News, Support, Hints and Resources
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 18:47

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2019 15:31 

Hi Roland,
I have been experimenting with the Transdem ground textures when used in TRS19. I am no expert on textures, but I believe that the texture files need a "bump map" to counteract the reflectivity and shininess which seems to be emphasized in TRS19, quite unlike TANE. Is there possibly an update to the ground textures files on your to do list for Transdem in the near future?

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2019 10:03 

What kind of issues do you encounter here? These textures in their latest version do have an extra map, not sure if was called a bump map. But this is a placeholder as there are no 3D features in those textures. Has TRS19 changed rendering in the latest SP or patch? I haven't checked for a while.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2019 11:23 

TRS2019 build 100240
When viewing a Transdem map with ortho textures in surveyor the map has a strange appearance. this has been discussed in the Trainz forum here https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthr ... -the-scene

I tried this Using trs19.

Create a new map with one baseboard.
Paint the whole with one transdem128 texture.
Zoom out till you have a 3d view and rotate the camera on the painted ground, changing the viewing angles till you see a strong torchlight effect shining on the surface.
Now rotate the texture painting direction 90 degrees and paint a small area.
Repeat this at 90 degrees and you will see the textures light up in different lights at different angles. Increase the height in different places and see the effect.
Now paint the whole with a different non Transdem texture and the effect will disappear and become normal.

I realize that this is not the way these ground textures should be used, but it does show that something is not right.

I guess the reason for this is that that the TD textures are completely non 3D flat and this reflects the sun?? making the torchlight effect.
I have been experimenting using a normal map as a bump map from another texture which solves(I think) the problem. (Having no previous experience with graphics, I have been doing a crash course in texture making to work all this out about normal maps, bump maps, and texture.text files :)

Hope I make myself understood with this as I really think that this problem should be solved if Transdem and ortho textures are to be is used in TRS19.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2019 11:44 

For the map textures I would say one could live with it as they are intended to serve as a temporary building aid. But the aerial image textures should appear realistic and not overexposed as they are intended to stay. I also noticed that many routes appeared far too bright when T:ANE came out and I adjusted the lighting for a TransDEM generated route.

I will put this on the todo list. I asked the question back then, when bump maps became obligatory, how to neutralize the effect, which also exists in T:ANE, but couldn't get a satisfying answer. That was perhaps due to lack of creators' experience with this "feature" at that time. If you have an example of a working ground texture that is immune to lighting effects, I could have a look at its bump map structure (I am no expert here, either).

BTW, are you experiencing similar effects with the UTM tile textures? As these are not ground textures but standard Trainz assets, other rendering rules apply.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2019 14:05 

UTM tile textures are quite ok. Looks the same as TANE.
I will put together the texture file I have experimented on for your inspection.