TransDEM Forum

TransDEM News, Support, Hints and Resources
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 12:41

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Latest Update Issues...
PostPosted: 02 Sep 2019 05:17 

G'day geophil (et al),

It would seem that I have 'jumped' into this a tad late but I only just found out about the new update (ver 2.6.4.1) yesterday, so, as I have done many times in the past after learning of such things, I immediately sought out the web page and downloaded the appropriate version of the aforesaid file for my system (downloading the "Update Trainz Edition 2.6.* - 2.6.4.1 (English/German, 64bit)" file). As previously, everything with the download went "swimmingly" and after extracting the file using your recommended "7Zip", I double clicked on the created file "TranzDEM-2.6.4.1-Upd64-Setup.exe" and away we went. All seemed to be going well until I noticed that the installation program was installing all the new updates to an older 'copy' of the program on a different drive to the one from which I run the current version (2.6.3.0). Sure enough, when I checked the 'copy' of the program I normally run, after the update had completed (during which, the following installation of the Windows runtime components (or whatever they are) failed, I should point out), it still showed up as 2.6.3.0. Fine, if the update is going to update the older 'copy' on the other drive, then I'll check that out but when I looked into the 'other' installation, it too still showed up as being only version 2.6.3.0! There were no options in the installation of the update to allow me to direct the update specifically towards the 'correct' installation directory, so I don't know how I should proceed. If anyone can provide as solution, I would greatly appreciate it...

Jerker {:)}

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2019 08:43 

InnoSetup, the installation tool I am using for TransDEM, silently changed the the default of one or two options in recent versions. One of those options was to pick the installation directory. And, I have to admit, I did not notice this.

To find out which installation directory the installer is looking for, open the Windows Registry Editor (regedit.exe) and look for the key
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\TransDEM Trainz Edition (64bit)_is1
(assuming you are running the 64bit variant).

The registry value "InstallLocation" will show the path where the installer will apply the update.

Please note: The 32bit and the 64bit variants are separate installations.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2019 15:16 

G'day geophil,

Thanks for that, Roland. I managed to track down the H_KEY but could only find a 'reference' to an "update" entry but there were certainly all references to "D:" drive, so I changed them all to "G:" drive and after restarting the machine and running the update again, it installed everything to G drive but I was confronted with two errors from the MFDelta portion at the end, one stating that ""G:\TransDEM\TransDEM64.exe": Patch job logical error"" and ""G:\TransDEM\TransDEM64DEU.dll": Patch job logical error"". Again, the Windows Visual C+ installation attempt failed. Of course, the program is still showing as version 2.6.3.0...

...I am wondering if I might be trying to install, inadvertently, a copy of the 64 bit update onto a 32 bit version of the program? I cannot find a copy of the original 64 bit version of the 2.6 that I would have purchased from you and I cannot actually recall if I re-installed the program after I upgraded from XP to Windows 10. How would I know, for certain, that I am running the 32 bit version of 2.6.3.0?

Jerker {:)}

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2021 18:58 

Hi there, Roland

Could you please assist with the following.

Got the latest version, has been using it for a long time.

tried to open hgt files which I was previously using, however, the Transdem is popping up with error openning hgt file.

What could go wrong?

Appreciating

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2021 18:08 

Could this SRTM DEM be a zipped hgt file?

Some more recent SRTM versions no longer have identical file names for the .zip envelope and the .hgt within. In such a case you will have to unzip the the SRTM DEM manually and open the extracted hgt file in TransDEM.

The hgt file name format is predefined and and must carry longitude and latitude and nothing else. But the zip file name can be anything and may nowadays contain more information.