TransDEM Forum

TransDEM News, Support, Hints and Resources
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 12:59

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2019 09:04 

Hi Guys!

Recently I've been developing a route using UTMs and ortho-imagery and I was wondering if there was possibly a way to get older Google Earth imagery when Web Map tiling.
The reason is because one section of my massive yard was pulled up and has overgrown a lot since 2014. So I would really like to be able to implement the older Google Earth imagery onto the DEM so I can use it for my UTMs instead of using the latest imagery.
For those who may not know, Google Earth has the ability to go back in time to see the world as it was in the past and I need to take advantage of this.

Any help would be great!

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2019 11:01 

It may be possible but I don't know. If the Google Maps REST interface (the one that is used by TransDEM) allows it, then TransDEM may be able to support it by simply adding a new map "type" without the need for code modification. However, last time I looked at the interface desrcription at the Google developer website, it did not mention any such option. But that was two or three years ago, when I modified the TransDEM client for API key support.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2019 23:53 

Thanks for the reply Geophil,
Fortunately I've found a way, and with the help of my good friend Jerker.

For those who may been wanting older ortho-imagery, follow the second tutorial; "Google Earth and TransDEM." Before doing so, make sure you set your wanted ortho-imagery by using the timeline to "go-back-in-time." Simply then follow the tutorial and it should work.

Regards.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2019 13:05 

Unfortunately, at least in the geographical areas I've seen, the farther back in time you go in Google Earth, the resolution decreases and the imagery becomes more fuzzy and sometimes the color becomes gray scale. I guess it depends if you want it for ground cover or just a template for placing objects.

Andrew