TransDEM Forum

TransDEM News, Support, Hints and Resources
It is currently 28 Apr 2024 21:56

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: UTM Tiles
PostPosted: 24 Mar 2011 21:58 

I figured out how to export UTM tiles and create routes, but cannot figure out how to make the UTM tile appear in trainz. I understand that They should be visible when in wireframe view. I can find the UTM tile Objects in the scenery folder. what do I need to do from there?

Thanks in Advance
Irvin Brubacher
aka Expyker

Post subject: Re: UTM Tiles
PostPosted: 24 Mar 2011 23:31 

I got it figured out. Thanks though.

Irvin Brubacher,
aka Expyker

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2011 09:23 

What was it then? UTM tiles exported to the wrong copy of the route?

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2011 10:19 

I was commiting the route in CM3 before importing the UTM tiles. Once I imported the tile and then committed the route everything worked as advertised :D

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2011 11:08 

Right.

You can also add UTM tiles to an existing route which already has been edited in Trainz Surveyor. In this case you have to export the modified route from CM and then reimport it. The function for this is "Open for Edit".

But - and here is the pitfall - the exported copy of the route must be the only copy in the destination folder. Usually this is the Trainz "Edit" folder, the same folder where TransDEM places its initial route creation.

If Trainz Content Manager finds an existing route of the same name in the destination folder, it does not give any warning but silently creates a new copy of the route with a cryptic name. To avoid this, delete the original route created by TransDEM in the "Edit" folder prior to using the "Open for Edit" function in Trainz CM.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2011 17:45 

What I started doing to make things easier for me, is to create 2routes of the same area. I changed the default destination folder and I will create the first route there with the DEM, but no UTM tiles. I then close the DEM and create a new one, completely flat and include the UTM tile with that one. Then I import the flat on into Trainz and lay my track and roads. I will also place landmark buildings if applicable. Then I open that route for edit and swap the map.gnd file. Works great for me.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2011 14:21 

Ok that doesn't work so well either. As long as it is only splines, its ok. But, as soon as you add intersections or bridges it gets messed up.The reason for this is that the intersections and bridges have an anchored vertex where the splines don't. This allows the splines to follow the terrain, but the anchored vertex points stay at the original height. Doesn't work so well when trying to model the New River Gorge in West Virginia. Oh well, I'll figure something else out. By the way Geophil, I love this program. It was worth every penny. If you don't mind me asking, Wo sind Sie zu hause? Ich bin ein Amerikanisher soldat in Vilseck Bayern. I would very much like to meet you sometime.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2011 16:37 

Expyker wrote:
Wo sind Sie zu hause? Ich bin ein Amerikanisher soldat in Vilseck Bayern. I would very much like to meet you sometime.
Vilseck? That's is near Weiden/Oberpfalz and close to the Czech border then. I'm living in Aachen, close to the Dutch and Belgian borders.

The Oberpfalz is a nice piece of landscape, including a railway history gem ("Schiefe Ebene" near Neuenmarkt-Wirsberg), unfortunately it's over 500 km from home.