TransDEM Forum

TransDEM News, Support, Hints and Resources
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 17:58

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2017 02:24 

I think this *might* be a bug in Transdem. Or maybe it's a compatibility issue with T:ANE. I want to put more than one 3D UTM tile in the same location on the map (but on different layers). For example, rather than put all UTM tiles on the Transdem-UTM layer, I might put ortho imagery on an Ortho layer, a Topo map from 1955 on a 1955 layer, and maybe even use additional layers for other maps.

So here's what happens. I use Transdem to create 500m UTM Tiles on two different layers, then import the route and all of the UTM tiles into Trainz. In Trainz, all of the UTM objects show up in the Trainz Objects menu. However, some of the UTM tiles from the second layer aren't automatically placed on the map. Some are, some aren't. It appears to be somewhat random. Since they're in the Trainz Objects menu, I can place the missing ones manually, but it is a rather tedious process.

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2017 09:08 

Interesting. Placing multiple UTM tiles in different layers at the same location is a smart idea, however, I'm afraid, not actually a feature at the moment. TransDEM has algorithms that try to figure out whether a route already has a UTM tile at a specific position. It's more or less about tile names (with embedded UTM coordinates) and Trainz World Coordinates. KUIDs also play some role. Layers, I think, are not evaluated here. The whole idea behind that was to be able to replace an existing tile, either the entire tile or just the texture. But I have been aware that these algorithms are not bullet-proof and you apparently have found a way to bypass the filter.

I'll put multiple UTM tiles in separate layers on the wish list. Nonetheless I would also like to know whether you are able to reproduce the creation of additional tiles at the same location. As long as the outcome appears to be random, it's probably hard to find.

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2017 18:58 

Thanks. Here's how I create additional tiles at the same location (this example uses two layers).

• In Transdem, create a Trainz map with elevation data.
  • Next, with some topo map imagery loaded, create the first set of UTM tiles (specify layer name "Topo" instead of "Transdem-UTM").
  • Move the newly created UTM tiles from the scenery folder to a different folder on your hard drive (for example, put them in a folder called "Topo UTM")
  • Now, still in Transdem, load some ortho-imagery and create the second set of UTM tiles for the same location (specify layer name "Ortho" instead of "Transdem-UTM").
  • Move these tiles to another folder on your hard drive (for example, a folder called "Ortho UTM"). The second set of UTM tiles will have the same file names as the first set (but with different KUIDs).
  • Now you have three folders (the map, the Topo tiles, and the Ortho tiles). In TANE Content Manager, import each folder.

It works well, and all of the tiles are imported without errors. When you open the map in TANE, all of the tiles show up in the Object menu, but some of the tiles from the 1st set aren't automatically placed on the map. That's the weird part. Some topo tiles are automatically co-located with the ortho tiles on the map, but some aren't and have to be placed manually. Even with the glitch, it's pretty cool, particularly if you want to use a variety of maps and imagery when building a layout. Not sure if this is relevant, but I've been creating each set of UTM tiles .35m above the surface of the map. I think I'm going to change that and create each set (layer) at a slightly different level.

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2017 11:41 

Kookaburra wrote:
Here's how I create additional tiles at the same location (this example uses two layers).

Thanks a lot. I will follow this workflow in code and find out which decisions the filter algorithms are taking. A different folder will play a role as I am quite sure that "scenery" will be evaluated, but others not, of course. More importantly, each tile will leave a footprint in the .obs file, with its position and KUID reference. But that may only be checked when adding tiles to an existing route, re-imported into TransDEM.

Anyway, it will have to wait for a while. Currently I am working on support for new DEM data sources which will result in TransDEM version 2.6.2. After that I will tackle T:ANE SP2 and its file structure changes and other Trainz Exporter related stuff.