TransDEM Forum

TransDEM News, Support, Hints and Resources
It is currently 09 May 2024 12:17

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: transparent margins
PostPosted: 10 Feb 2016 13:03 

I am a little confused on how to use the transparent margins on pdf maps I download from usgs to get rid of the edges of the map
I open raster map hit transparent margins and the margin appears but I have no option to click or activate the crop
I tried doing it by hand but end up with blank spots
thanks

Post subject: Re: transparent margins
PostPosted: 10 Feb 2016 15:54 

It's a three-stage process. Once the GoePDF has been loaded, the "Transparent Margin" button becomes enabled. Press it (1). A dark yellow rectangular shape should appear around the map. Release the button again (). The transparent margin area should now be indicated in light yellow. Press the button to convert to UTM (3). The algorithm will detect and crop the margin area.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2016 00:59 

thanks worked great!
is there and way to fill the empty holes were the lines are between group or do you do that in trainz with the route editor

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2016 11:24 

You normally download all the relevant map sheets for your route project, convert the GeoPDFs individually, and save to TransDEM's internal format (*.trf). Then open them all again, one after the other. No gaps or holes should remain. Save once more, and this time TransDEM will offer you to save the whole lot as a group (*.lgb). Next time you can open the group file directly.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2016 11:53 

the ones I did with the margin have white lines around them the ones I did by hand seem ok but some have lines what did I do wrong? I have no idea

well I think I figured it out I had some of the map stuff turned on still just did images and they turned out ok im having fun learning will have to redo them all

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2016 18:26 

I have found that for the historic collection the so-called neat lines were very accurate. For the modern edition, however, they put in some white space between neat line and actual border of the map. I don't know why, perhaps USGS can answer that question.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2016 12:00 

I found if I turn off everything but road features/trails/shaded relief/woodlands/orthoimage I don't have gaps on the sides on the newer versions of the maps im wanting to use them for ground texture on my trainz route so it works good