TransDEM Forum

TransDEM News, Support, Hints and Resources
It is currently 14 May 2024 06:57

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2016 16:59 

Greetings on the new year!
I am having a problem with V2.6. When I try to open a geopdf map I get a warning to the effect "cannot find gdalinfo.exe" and the maps will not open. If I go back to V2.5 the maps open correctly.
I tried reinstalling gdal. I tried reinstalling V2.6. And I reinstalled in both combinations - gdal first, then V2.6 and V2.6 first, then gdal. No luck either way.
I now am back on V2.5 and all is well - maps open just fine - but would like to get to V2.6 if I could get the maps to open. Thanks for any help anyone can offer.
Buckeye

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2016 17:41 

Hi, Buckeye. Greetings to you too!

I installed TransDEM 2.6 yesterday and have no problems opening GeoPDFs. I installed TransDEM 2.6 directly over the old version.

One thing you may want to check is that on your Options, Settings, General tab, the "Path to GDAL utilities" is correct. Mine says "C:\Program Files\GDAL", but you may have installed it elsewhere.

Also, there are many versions of GDAL, if I remember correctly, and not all may be appropriate for TransDEM. You may want to follow precisely the instructions on page 44 of the new 2.6 TransDEM manual on installing the proper version of GDAL.

Hope this info helps!

Andrew

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2016 19:04 

There is a problem with the current Windows GDAL builds. They report an error when checking a GeoPDF file, which TransDEM does. For that reason I have uploaded a slightly older GDAL package, successfully tested with TransDEM. Check the 2.6 delivery email or the 2.6 TransDEM manual. They should have the address.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2016 06:09 

Sharknose and Geophil thanks for your suggestions. However, the problem is still there.
I have the exact GDAL version specified in the 2.6 manual. And, In TransDEM the path to the GDAL location is correct. I installed V2.6 over V2.5 and accepted all the defaults just as I did when I installed V2.5.

The exact error message I get with V2.6 is in a popup titled TranzDEM64 and reads: Error running "gdalinfo.exe"
I get this message after clicking on Raster Map, then on Open Raster Map, then I highlight the geoPDF file I want to open and then click on Open. This exact procedure with V2.5 (and the same GDAL version) successfully opens the raster map. However, with V2.6 I get the error. Also, I am highlighting the exact same map file with each version.

Thanks for your help but let's not lose sleep over this if no one else out there is seeing the problem. If no one else is seeing this then I have a local issue here. I am working on a huge project and have completed half of the TransDEM portion of my route using V2.5. I am simply going to go back to V2.5 so I can complete the second half of this project and then get the DEM and route into Surveyor. After that I will come back and pursue this V2.6 issue. Perhaps I should download the V2.6 zip file again. I have never ever encountered a zip file corrupted in transmission but there always is a first time for everything.
Thanks for your support!

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2016 16:38 

You may have installed GDAL twice, once in C:\Program Files, and once in C:\Program Files (x86).

The download I am recommending is a 32bit version and will install in C:\Program Files (x86) by default.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2016 00:16 

Problem solved (but I still don't know exactly what was wrong).
In response to geophil's last, I had the correct GDAL version all along but something was wrong with it. I just couldn't leave this thing alone. I downloaded everything again. I installed and tested one at a time. Once I installed the new GDAL download the GEOPDF files opened perfectly with both v2.5 and v2.6.
I'm good to go with v2.6!
Thanks very much for your help.