TransDEM Forum

TransDEM News, Support, Hints and Resources
It is currently 12 May 2024 05:58

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2014 23:58 

Hi all; So I decided to buy TD and have been slowly making progress but I have run into a couple of problems which I hope someone can help with.

1. I created a route about 230km long and put the mask around it and exported the DEM but the top and bottom of the route are missing (the maps in Trains just stop cold). I can go back in, mask around each of the missing areas using the exact same maps/dem and they work fine, it is just when I try doing the entire route. On export there are no errors telling me I am asking TD to do too much.

2. Trying to using custom KUIDS in the vector export but once in trains all I get is a white dotted line. I thought I had a bad kuid so I tried a built in AURAN one (snow track, 25:777) but I still just get dotted lines.

3. UTM - what exactly does this give me that the RASTER/DEM doesn't? I don't' see anything in the PDFs and from what I have read most don't use it. I always get errors when I try and the scenery folder ends up empty.

Other points about above: my edit folder is empty and I make sure the route if errant is deleted out of trains before trying again.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2014 20:30 

Chris750 wrote:
Hi all; So I decided to buy TD and have been slowly making progress but I have run into a couple of problems which I hope someone can help with.

1. I created a route about 230km long and put the mask around it and exported the DEM but the top and bottom of the route are missing (the maps in Trains just stop cold). I can go back in, mask around each of the missing areas using the exact same maps/dem and they work fine, it is just when I try doing the entire route. On export there are no errors telling me I am asking TD to do too much.
What's the size of your .gnd file? Could Trainz Content Manager be the problem? In such a case, however, Content Manager would normally abort.

Quote:
2. Trying to using custom KUIDS in the vector export but once in trains all I get is a white dotted line. I thought I had a bad kuid so I tried a built in AURAN one (snow track, 25:777) but I still just get dotted lines.
Did you try the default KUID as pre-set in TransDEM?

Quote:
3. UTM - what exactly does this give me that the RASTER/DEM doesn't? I don't' see anything in the PDFs and from what I have read most don't use it. I always get errors when I try and the scenery folder ends up empty.
Texture resolution. Ground textures are limited to 1 pixel per 10 or 5m. UTM tile textures can go up to 1 pixel per 12.2cm, on 500m tiles with 4096 pixel textures. Higher resolution is needed for large scale aerial images.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2014 22:36 

Yes, the built in kuids work and I can use the 'replace' option once in trains, but custom kuid doesn't work for TD except 117608:60925 which I tried for power lines, but 9000:37010:1 (Auran power lines) does not work, just a dotted white line shows.

The GND file is 89,023KB for what is suppose to be the entire route. The section I masked that was missing at the top is 79000KB and the bottom mask 5000 kB.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2014 18:06 

Chris750 wrote:
Yes, the built in kuids work and I can use the 'replace' option once in trains, but custom kuid doesn't work for TD except 117608:60925 which I tried for power lines, but 9000:37010:1 (Auran power lines) does not work, just a dotted white line shows.
That one appears to be one with poles and those are usually implemented as kind "bridge", not "track". The Trainz Surveyor user interfaces make no difference between track and bridge, but internally they are quite distinct. TransDEM only expects "track" and it would place "bridges" as track, as it only knows the KUID but not what it stands for.

Quote:
The GND file is 89,023KB for what is suppose to be the entire route. The section I masked that was missing at the top is 79000KB and the bottom mask 5000 kB.
This file size should not cause a problem.

Can you post screenshots of the TransDEM main window with the rect. mask and vector data in place and also of the result in Trainz Surveyor for an area where baseboards are missing?

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2014 22:41 

Will get the screen shots shortly. It is strange; the area I am doing is Cochrane, Ontario Canada to Moosonee Ontario (the PolarBear Express) and if I try exporting all of it I loose the top 4 raster maps and sometimes the bottom 4. If I just mask around Moosonee I can get them no problem so I tried using 80% of the route from Cochrane north and then Moosonee and a bit south. Once in Trains the maps and track can be lined up perfectly in MERGE ROUTE but when I hit the proceed button to merge the Moosonee section disappears again.

I am using auxiliary for the power poles with the custom kuid.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2014 23:10 

Screen Shots:

1. DEM + Raster maps (Geo) + Vector. The section is red is what goes missing, not the 45 degree bend of the track over the river as a ref. point.

2. Section cut off. Note bend in river with track.

3. Separate route build where I am able to export the red square section which provides Moosonee. Note bend in river.

4. Cochrane in the south, works fine.

5. Moosonee in the north when done as a separate export.

A point to note: I have tried brand new DEMs, Rasters and Vectors but the same results occur. The DEMS I get are 1:50000 and the raster are also 1:50000. I found that I can download control points yesterday in Canada, can I use these in TD?