TransDEM Forum

TransDEM News, Support, Hints and Resources
It is currently 12 May 2024 01:54

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2014 14:54 

This message is relatively harmless. It just tells you that one or more entries in the export/import folder (...\UserData\editing) don't make sense to TransDEM. I always recommend to clean up this folder before exchanging route data and scenery between TransDEM and Trainz Content Manager, particularly prior to any "Open for Edit" in Content Manager.

However, it appears that your UTM tile export is not controlled by route vector data. In this case TransDEM will limit tile production to about 25 per export. Vector data will act as a filter and only create those UTM tiles close to the route. A more generous upper limit still applies, I think it's 1000 tiles per call.

With the memory addressable in the 64bit version, you can easily create routes of several thousand square kilometres, far too big for a single human being to be able to complete in his lifetime. Those upper limits are just simple safety measures to conserve disk space.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2014 23:40 

The tiles themselves were created with a simple vector route I added to the DEM. If I recall, there are about 160 of them. Does the fact that I've not used the route in the export cause issue? It is the 64 bit version I'm using and the folder was empty when I began with the DEM.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2014 10:31 

PFX72 wrote:
Does the fact that I've not used the route in the export cause issue?
No, it even makes things easier as Content Manager is not participating in the workflow yet.

PFX72 wrote:
... and the folder was empty when I began with the DEM
That's odd. An empty folder wouldn't trigger the inconsistent names/missing files message. I suggest to check the setting for the destination folder in TransDEM.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2014 22:42 

I think I may have got part way to resolving this issue. I selected a fresh folder and didn't get the error message until after I tried to start the export then received a warning stating "Error running TrainsMeshImporter.exe, file not found". I'm guessing I need to install this from someplace?

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2014 23:17 

From the TransDEM Trainz Edition Release 2.5 Manual (Pages 15 & 16):

Quote:
Downloading and installing the Trainz Mesh Importer

Terra-formed 3D UTM tiles need the Trainz Mesh Importer, provided by N3V (Auran).
Note: The XML Mesh Importer is not part of the TransDEM installation package. It has to
be downloaded and installed separately.

● The Trainz Mesh Importer is available from this site:
http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Downloads

● Download this package:
http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/images/2/26/TrainzImporterTS12.zip

● There is no automatic installer. Unpack the zip file to a convenient location, e.g. a
folder next to your Trainz installation like C:\Users\<my user name>\Trainz\MeshImporter

● Set the location of the importer in TransDEM. TransDEM main menu, Options |
Settings | Trainz Global Export Parameters | Source Folder for Trainz Mesh XML Importer.
TransDEM will verify the location and test whether the importer can be run.

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2014 21:31 

Ah, now that I missed!

Thanks.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2014 00:23 

I've managed to now export the 3D UTM tiles, or I have according to TransDEM, with the exception of a few tiles which failed to export due to data being unavailable (which I expected). The route was open for edit in CM3.6 and ther UTM files went to the correct file in editing but on opening the file, there is nothing there.

Am I being particularly stupid? I believe I've followed the manual to the letter.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2014 02:15 

3 things I can think of:

1) In addition to importing your route content, you also need to import the content of your 3D tiles. They should be in a "scenery" folder alongside the folder of your route (whatever you called it). You should probably import your scenery folder first before your route as your route is dependent on the 3D tiles.

2) I don't think the 3D tiles can be put underground - the default (I think) is 10cm above ground, but go into wire frame mode in Surveyor (F9) and make sure they aren't hidden.

3) If some tiles were skipped, you may be placed in an area of your route where there are no 3D tiles. Fly around in different areas of your route to see if you can find them.

Andrew

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2014 09:10 

In addition to Andrew's remarks: Open the route with the missing tiles in Surveyor. Make a minimum adjustment and save the route. This will recreate the config.txt file and update the dependency list. In Content Manager view the dependencies or check the new config file. Any of the UTM tiles listed there?

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2014 23:36 

As things were getting a bit messy, I decided to start again.

I've created my route DEM and exported it, as shown below. This includes This is prior to importing into Trainz.

I've also created a vector route and higher resolution tiles along that route. I'm not going to export the vector route, only the hi res tiles and see how that goes.

This is the set up menu for the UTM tiles. I've only highlighted a small section of the route to rule out the untextured tiles from the problem.

I get no errors on starting the export until the very end when the message below appears. On checking the scenery folder, I find it is empty.