TransDEM Forum

TransDEM News, Support, Hints and Resources
It is currently 16 Jun 2024 21:11

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 25 May 2013 10:54 

I presume this (from a different thread)
geophil wrote:
It appears that N3V is halfway to the next full Trainz version. With SP1 they have introduced a new version of the .gnd file format which at the moment is unknown to TransDEM (and me. And I haven't even looked at the other route files yet). This means TransDEM 2.3 may not be able to process a route exported by the latest TS12 CM. This is the same story as with most previous Trainz versions, but it usually doesn't happen within the lifetime of a single version. (SPs for TRS2004 and TS2009 had similar effects, though.)

is why I'm getting an error in trying to adjust the elevation of a pre-built route to match mine? I'm using TS12+SP1+hf1+hf2, build 57898

PostPosted: 25 May 2013 12:31 

Yes, I'm afraid so.

In the new ground file format, the ruler objects have been taken out and now reside in a file of their own. That appears to be the major change.

I am still in the testing phase with TransDEM 2.4 which will restore full compatibility.

PostPosted: 26 May 2013 00:24 

Thanks. I thought so.

I've only just come to needing to use the adjust height feature.

This is because when copy-and-pasteing from a pre-built route onto mine (to "convert" an arbitarily derived map, at 0m elevation, to the "native" TransDEM baseboard positions - the exact opposite of the "baseboard offset" export function in the Transdem Trainz exporter!) the objects re-adjust to the new ground level, but the splines/tracks keep thier original elevation.

Thus they are some 30-40m "below ground", and very hard to see and adjust.

Does (will it when V2.4 is out) the Transdem height adjust function also adjust the heights of objects and splines, or is the behaviour the same as the Trainz paste function?

PostPosted: 26 May 2013 17:35 

davidbird wrote:
Does (will it when V2.4 is out) the Transdem height adjust function also adjust the heights of objects and splines
It tries to identify Trainz World Coordinates in all route files. Apart from the obvious ground vertices these are all objects placed, including cameras, the track splines and bridges, any stationary train consists, any rulers, and also the Surveyor view points.

PostPosted: 27 May 2013 20:02 

Roland,

Do you know at this time weather or not TransDEM 2.4 will be able to do the elevation adjustments on pre TS2012 SP1 made .gnd file maps without having to save the them first in TS 2012 SP1? I've been wanting TransDEM for a long time but didn't order it until 2 days ago. (no reply yet on the first e-mail) I'm asking because I have a route I'm making that I want to extend using TransDEN and I was thinking about updating to SP1 and I'll no doubt have to do some height adjustments on my existing route.

Bill

PostPosted: 27 May 2013 21:07 

s-driver wrote:
Do you know at this time weather or not TransDEM 2.4 will be able to do the elevation adjustments on pre TS2012 SP1 made .gnd file maps without having to save the them first in TS 2012 SP1?
Most of the Trainz route files have internal version numbers. TransDEM reads those and acts accordingly, i.e. a pre-SP1 TS12 gnd file will be written back as such.

Quote:
(no reply yet on the first e-mail)
I sent the reply to the given email address and it did not bounce.

PostPosted: 27 May 2013 22:13 

That's very good to hear. Thank you for the response.

Strange that your reply hasn't hit my e-mail yet. Normally it's my other e-mail that has that problem.

I don't think you were getting blocked but I changed some settings in my hotmail account just in case. If it don't show we'll have to try my SBC.net address.

Bill

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2013 14:39 

I've updated TransDEM to V 2.4.0.0

When trying to do the "Adjust Elevations in Entire Route" it seems to work OK, (the green progress bar moves across as expected) but at the end it throws up this error

Quote:
Errors Writing File
"[Route Elevation Adjustment]"

Error reading .trc file

Any ideas?

Edit: See this thread... It's may be the same error, although that mentions error with .trk file, mine is definitely with the .trc file.
http://forum.transdem.de/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=259

Edit2: After getting the error, I never checked. Now I have checked and, despite the error, the adjust height function does work! I've not yet had a good look at the adjusted route, but I've yet to find any ill effects from that error... Happy again!

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2013 11:15 

The .trc file is completely different from the .trk file. Can you send me the offending .trc file?

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2013 21:03 

Well, I'm now getting

Errors writing file
"[Route Elevation Adjustment]"

Error reading .trc file.
Error reading .trk file.

And it's not working...
Will send copies of the relevant files to you.
Thanks