TransDEM Forum

TransDEM News, Support, Hints and Resources
It is currently 28 Apr 2024 12:04

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Questions
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2013 23:34 

Already messing up the program, I have three incognito.
One asks, if I have to make a merge of data ASCII from orography to another for the complete route I don't see this option. He/she asks two and very important it is possible that the orography makes it in RGB 17,4 million combinations, since like Spain knows it is even a very mountainous area near its beaches, and when making a route with some bench mark differences 0 at 2017, there are big differences, for a revolution of 5 m pixel.

Take care.

Jordi.

Post subject: Re: Questions
PostPosted: 09 Jan 2013 10:49 

The merge option is called "Add DEM". It requires all DEMs to be in MicroDEM .dem format, as written by TransDEM. For this, open each DEM file in its original format (like ESRI ASCII grid) and save again. This will write the file in MicroDEM .dem format, suitable for merge. But beware, there is a memory limit of 4GB on 64bit systems. Particularly with such high resolution as 5m the size of a route module will be limited. That's not a serious constraint because you can merge route modules in Trainz Surveyor in a seamless manner, as long as your route stays in the same UTM zone.

Concerning elevation/height, TransDEM uses colours only for DEM visualisation in TransDEM itself. It takes a different approach that MicroDEM when converting the DEM to Trainz terrain by directly applying the numerical elevation values. For floating point data, vertical resolution can be as accurate as 1cm while still covering the entire value range supported by Trainz, from sea level (or below) to the higher peaks (3000m max). But that's vertical. The 5m per "pixel" you mention are horizontal resolution, the spacing between elevation points.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2013 15:57 

Thank you very much for your reply, although in my computer I have 16GB of RAM, the transdem has limitation on working with 4GB anything else?, already you ire commenting on my work in DEM, because I am certain that I have more questions.

Take care.

Jordi.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2013 15:51 

There is a limiter of tiles from the track, that is to say, if i want to leave two tiles through the sides or 1 tile per side, as I have to do this for trainz.

Take care,

Jordi (Kaur)

P.D.

By the way the program wonderful for Trainz, i initially cost a little, but when it was only in spite of this small doubts, was perfect. If you want to put the severs of Spain already WMS or orography orthophotos for me you've said and I put them in the forum. Congratulations on this wonderful program.