TransDEM Forum

TransDEM News, Support, Hints and Resources
It is currently 27 Apr 2024 19:57

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Blank *.png on USGS WMS
PostPosted: 01 Nov 2012 16:57 

I have attempted to acquire maps from USGS using the TransDEM client. When the maps appear in TransDEM all are blank except for the pink georeferencing grid lines. The *.png files themselves are blank, white squares when viewed with a graphics viewing program like Irfanview or the Windows Photo Viewer.

The import settings: " WMS Sample Settings Nov11.xml " are loaded for use. Server settings show all types of graphics files checked, with "Any" WMS version chosen.

This problem occurs whether I give coordinates and ask for a single map image or when I create a route and request map images along the path.

I try to set scale to the appropriate request. For instance, I set scale to 24000 when requesting 1:24000 maps or map groups.

What could I be doing wrong here?

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2012 07:49 

Often, blank tiles are an indicator for something going wrong at the server. It could mean unavailable data or a malfunction. Just right now I cannot connect to the USGS WMS at all. I suggest to try again some time later.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2012 20:29 

Thank you for the encouraging idea that it could be a server problem. In the last six months, I have occasionally been able to download compete single maps as well as connected maps. In general, however, my success rate is poor (< 20%) compared to working from the Microsoft site.

The USGS site may have more traffic, a fact not obvious to the user, and that could account for incomplete data sets.

The National Map Viewer declared itself "not available or missing" during the evening of November 1. That is not surprising given the upset the storm may have caused. I shall keep trying,