TransDEM Forum

TransDEM News, Support, Hints and Resources
It is currently 27 Apr 2024 18:19

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2012 21:23 

Since the USGS is retiring The National Map Seamless Server Viewer and apparently replacing it with The National Map Viewer can someone provide a simplified tutorial on how to get the DEM into TransDEM? I've had good success using the Seamless Service but have tried to use this replacement and and totally confused.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2012 09:08 

At the moment I don't see the National Elevation Dataset (NED) mentioned at all on the TNM viewer pages.

The NED homepage still links to Seamless Service.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2012 17:46 

Yes, I does take you to the seamless server but when you press the seamless server viewer button the "wold globe" just continues to rotate and doesn't bring up the map.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2012 18:40 

I got the impression that Seamless Viewer is behaving a bit peculiar at times, possibly when demand is high. Anyway, it works for me at the moment.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2012 20:06 

By now the National Map Seamless Server Viewer is long retired, but Dr. Ziegler presented a good outline of how to get DEM data from the current National Map Viewer in the 15 August 2012 posting in the thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20&start=10 .

Generally following his outline (and instinctively following links on the National Map website) led to some satisfactory NED data downloads.

Naturally, TRAINZ users need to be sure to overlap the map extents by a minimum of 720 meters so DEM for the resulting routes are contiguous!