TransDEM Forum

TransDEM News, Support, Hints and Resources
It is currently 28 Apr 2024 11:22

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 22 May 2012 20:50 

Hello,

In order to get my route better designed I placed UTM tile objects. Those UTM tile objects are covering the complete area.
I just have some difficulties when I want to move or rotate an object which is placed on such a UTM tile object.

Is there a way to keep the UTM tile object locked, but be able to move or rotate the object which lays above the UTM tile object.

If it isn't possible, does anyone have any idea? 8-)

Thank you

Best regards

Kurt

PostPosted: 22 May 2012 21:10 

One of the advantages of Trainz layers is that you can lock them. And since the TransDEM UTM tiles normally go to their own specific layer, locking that layer should solve your problem.

PostPosted: 22 May 2012 21:31 

Hello Roland,

Thank you for your reply.

I already tried this option - that is lock the UTM layer.

I retried it but I kept on getting the same result

When trying to add an object I receive the error : cannot add object as the current selected layer is locked or hidden.

So unlocked the UTM Layer - placed the object, which is laying above an UTM tile object and relocked the UTM Layer.

I can move the object, the UTM tile objects remains at the same place :D - but I cannot rotate the object :o

Best regards

Kurt

PostPosted: 23 May 2012 08:01 

You may have tried to place your own objects on the TransDEM UTM tile layer. Once the layer is locked, your own objects on this layer will be locked as well.

Check the properties one of those objects now locked. To which layer does it belong?

When locking the TransDEM layer, make sure to click on a different layer to become the active layer for object placement and editing (moving/rotating).

PostPosted: 23 May 2012 11:46 

Hello Roland,

I'm using the UTM tile objects for better positioning of my objects, such as lighthouses, buildings, bridges, shipyards, etc ...

It's odd that when I place for ex a building on a utm tile object, and I lock the utm layer, I'm still capable of moving the object, but I can't rotate it and the utm tile object remains fixed.

When the utm layer is not lock, and I place an object on the utm tile object, when trying to move or rotate the object ( for ex a building ), the utm tile object is moving/rotating.

Best regards

Kurt

PostPosted: 24 May 2012 11:34 

TransDEM UTM tiles are ordinary Trainz objects. They are not in any way different from buildings and other assets, except for maybe size. This means, you place your other other object onto the ground of Trainz terrain, not on UTM tiles.

UTM tiles and your other objects should be in two different layers. Locking one layer should not influence the other.

Shifting and Rotation of objects can be controlled in the config.txt file. TransDEM UTM tiles do have such constraints, most other objects will not.

PostPosted: 24 May 2012 13:43 

geophil wrote:
TransDEM UTM tiles are ordinary Trainz objects. They are not in any way different from buildings and other assets, except for maybe size. This means, you place your other other object onto the ground of Trainz terrain, not on UTM tiles.

UTM tiles and your other objects should be in two different layers. Locking one layer should not influence the other.

Shifting and Rotation of objects can be controlled in the config.txt file. TransDEM UTM tiles do have such constraints, most other objects will not.

Hello Roland,

Initiailly, all the utm tile objects were placed at the same level.

So I did some tests. Result - and I don't have an explanation for it .
After lowering the utm tile objects, I could move and rotate the objects which were placed on the terrain. However, this is not a general rule. :o I have to take situation by situation. Sometimes I have to lower the utm tile objects, sometimes I don't have to lower the utm tile objects. In all tests, I didn't lock the layer.

Best regards

Kurt