TransDEM Forum

TransDEM News, Support, Hints and Resources
It is currently 27 Apr 2024 17:25

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2012 10:39 

geophil wrote:
Hello Kurt,

Steps j - m: Check the common export/import folder. What's in there? Before "opening for edit" in Trainz Content Manager, make sure no route folder with the same name is found. In the ideal case you only have the scenery folder and no route folders at all. It's a Trainz Content Manager flaw that it always opens a route for editing, regardless of folders with the same name at the destination. In such a case it gives no hint at all, but simply creates a folder with a new cryptic name.

And it will be that folder with the cryptic name, that the commit function will be applied to. In TransDEM, however, you will export new UTM tiles to a route with a clear text name, not the one with the cryptic name. This means, TransDEM and Trainz Content Manager work on to different and independent instances of the same route.

Regarding long routes and a large number of ortho-images or map clippings: While TransDEM uses image compression internally, it will eventually run out of memory if you keep adding images or trying to export if memory usage is already critical.

You can export UTM tiles to an existing route in stages, with smaller export areas for each step. Load only as many ortho-images as needed for each step. From the Trainz Content Manager perspective, just leave the route open for editing as long as you are working on it with TransDEM.

Hello Roland,

a) Concerning my routes - all the names are unique - for example tram010412a - some changes in tram010412a were saved as tram010412b. When I would be working on tram010412b today - the changes in the route would be saved as tram080412a etc etc ...

b) Export to trainz settings : Export destination

Source folder for template UTM03 object : c:\program files(x86)\Ziegler-tools\UTM03
destination folder scenery objects : c:\auran\TS2010\Userdata\editing\scenery

c) I continued my tests and did the following.

I made the following routes using the simple route editor

Oostende to Wenduine, Wenduine to Zeebrugge and Zeebrugge to Knokke.

I noticed the following : Oostende to Wenduine, the orthophoto's were placed in the route

Wenduine to Zeebrugge : the trackarea Wenduine to Blankenberge - orthophoto's in the route, but from Blankenberge to Zeebrugge no orthophoto's were found. :o

Zeebrugge to Knokke : Some orthophoto's were placed, but on different parts of the track. Not consecutive.

I did the test several times, and I always removed the utm tiles from the scenery folder and removed the utm tiles from the content manager, before I redid the tests.

The results were the same.

During the tests, I received the window with the remarks :

No map source for utm tile : 465000 5657000. skipped.
No map source for utm tile : 465000 5658000. skipped.
No map source for utm tile : 465000 5659000. skipped. etc etc

d) And I also noticed something odd.

Sometimes, when I select an area ( part i to m of the above used procedure ) no utm folders appear in the scenery folder.

When I use the zoom option ( zoom 3 to 4 times ) and select the area again, when clicking on create UTM tile objects, and continue the process, the utm folders appear in the scenery folder.

I can't explain why this happens.

I also noticed that the text quote limitations applies unquote appears in the UTM Coordinates box ( just above the South box and under the North-South box

Best regards

Kurt

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2012 12:12 

Belgian46 wrote:
Concerning my routes - all the names are unique - for example tram010412a - some changes in tram010412a were saved as tram010412b
The problem is the naming by Trainz Content Manager when it opens for edit. These names cannot be controlled by you.

Example: You have a route "MyRoute", which you created with TransDEM. This route now lies in the common exchange folder, as a subfolder "MyRoute". You import that route to Trainz with Content Manager. You then also have a route "MyRoute" in Trainz. So far so good.

You edit the route in Trainz Surveyor. Then you decide to add UTM tiles to it. You will have to open that route for edit in Trainz Content Manager. The new route will be exported to the common folder. And here things can go wrong. Your original route, created with TransDEM, still resides in the common folder. Trainz Content Manager detects it but does not tell you. Instead it silently opens your modified "MyRoute" for export in a new sub-folder, parallel to the original "MyRoute", but assigns a cryptic name to the newer one. You would never guess this your latest "MyRoute" you want to work with.

You export UTM tiles with TransDEM, unfortunately to your original route. You commit changes in Trainz Content Manager. But Trainz Content Manager commits the newer route with the cryptic name, which is unchanged, because TransDEM added UTM tiles to the other one.

So, it's not about the contents of the scenery sub-folder, it's about route sub-folders.

In your case you can leave the scenery folder basically untouched. TransDEM will skip existing UTM tiles detected in the scenery folder. You only have to delete the scenery folder items if you wish to replace existing with new ones. (Actual replacement in the route itself is a new functionality in TransDEM 2.2.)

But if you want to be absolutely sure that only one route exists and no UTM tiles will be skipped, wipe the entire exchange folder, everything, all routes and including scenery, before "opening for edit".

Note: "common", "exchange", "export/import" are used interchangeably and all denote the same folder.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2012 12:04 

geophil wrote:
Belgian46 wrote:
Concerning my routes - all the names are unique - for example tram010412a - some changes in tram010412a were saved as tram010412b
The problem is the naming by Trainz Content Manager when it opens for edit. These names cannot be controlled by you.

[/i]

Hello Roland,

Ok.

I will do some other test - that is : create the utm using the georefenced maps one after another, and just commit the route at the very end of the process, instead of creating the utm using one georefenced map and commiting the route, reopening the route for edit using another georeferenced map and committing the route, etc etc

I would like to find out why no orthophoto's are visible for the area Blankenberge-Zeebrugge, by using the georeferenced map Wenduine-Zeebrugge.

When using the georeferenced map Oostende-Wenduine, all the orthophoto's are visible.

Best regards

Kurt

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2012 16:29 

Ok - did the test.

All georeferenced area's have approximately the same length

Opened the georeferenced map Oostende-Wenduine - selected the complete area - and the utm folders were created for that area.

Opened the georeferenced map Wenduine - Zeebrugge - selected the complete area - and noticed that all utm folders were not created

Opened the georeferenced map Zeebrugge - Knokke - selected the complete area - and noticed that some utm folders were not created

There was one solution left. ;)

Reopened the georeferenced map Wenduine - Zeebrugge and selected a smaller area and the utm folders were created for that area. Redid the same with another area of the same georeferenced map and again the utm folders were created.

I simply have no explanation for this :?, however the major part is - there is a solution for it :D

Best regards

Kurt