I tried tutorial 2 Google earth and Transdem

Point 1 settings in Google earth were placed correctly
Point 2 Created a place mark for an image successfully
point 4 Semi-automatic georeferencing in transdem
point a - opened the image and the coordinate grid was draw
point b - converted to UTM and saved georeferenced raster map

Made a selection of an area

Then I wanted to Create UTM tile objects and received the error

Errors writing file - Utm overlay objects - No UTM tiles in mask or filter range

Any idea - why this error popped up.

Thank you

Best regards

Kurt

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2012 08:28 

Once you have georeferenced data it does no longer matter how it was created. Georeferenced data always consists of two files: the image itself plus a .trf file with the geo transformation parameters.

For exporting UTM tiles this means your geo data source can be anything as long as it has a valid image and .trf file. And that will always be the case if you can load the data into TransDEM.

Now, when actually exporting, TransDEM looks at the export mask and at the optional path. The export mask must encompass at least one full 1000m UTM grid square. The easiest way to check this is to display the UTM grid in TransDEM with the 1000m option on. Furthermore, this area must exist in the route where the UTM tile(s) shall be added to.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2012 12:01 

geophil wrote:
Now, when actually exporting, TransDEM looks at the export mask and at the optional path. The export mask must encompass at least one full 1000m UTM grid square. The easiest way to check this is to display the UTM grid in TransDEM with the 1000m option on. Furthermore, this area must exist in the route where the UTM tile(s) shall be added to.

Hello Roland,

Thank you for your answer.

When I created my route using Transdem, I didn't use the UTM tile objects option. :oops:

Could it also be the reason, why the error quote Errors writing file - Utm overlay objects - No UTM tiles in mask or filter range unquote was received?

If this is the case - Is it possible to use UTM tile objects option on an existing route? :?

If yes? Would you mind giving me the ref in the Transdem manual?

Thank you

Best regards

Kurt

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2012 13:54 

Belgian46 wrote:
When I created my route using Transdem, I didn't use the UTM tile objects option.
Not a problem.

Belgian46 wrote:
Could it also be the reason, why the error quote Errors writing file - Utm overlay objects - No UTM tiles in mask or filter range unquote was received?
No.

Belgian46 wrote:
If this is the case - Is it possible to use UTM tile objects option on an existing route?
Yes, sure. Simply open the route for edit in Trainz Content Manager and select this route when exporting UTM tiles in TransDEM.

The usual rule of caution applies: Make sure there is only one route with the desired name in the TransDEM and Trainz exchange folder. In particular, DO NOT open a route for edit in Trainz Content Manager, unless you have the checked the destination folder and moved or removed any other routes with the same name.

The other precondition: Any routes which are to receive additional UTM tiles or vector data must have a valid World Origin object, valid for TransDEM that is, i.e. the route must have been created with TransDEM in the first place. If the route in question is the result of a merge operation, ensure that the World Origin has been fixed afterwards. This can be done at any time, but before merging with another module.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2012 10:57 

Hello Roland,

OK - I did the whole process again and received again the same error.

quote Errors writing file - Utm overlay objects - No UTM tiles in mask or filter range unquote

Then I tried everything with the muengsten.lgb ( following page 49 and page 82 of the Transdem Trainz manual ) on my created route ( which was opened for editing ) and the UTM files were created in the scenery folder ( just an warning was presented quote warnings writing file UTM overlay objects Baseboard for UTM tile not found unquote - but that is a logic warning ).

Allthough I received no errors following the tutorial 2 Google Earth and Transdem ( page 105 of Transdem 2.2 manual ), I probably must be doing something wrong :?

I will redo the tutorial 2 and see what happens ;)

Best regards

Kurt

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2012 18:50 

Yes, do it again step by step with the tutorial, then try with a different route.

Always make sure the common folder is properly cleaned up. Picking the wrong route because of naming conflicts seems one of the typical error causes.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2012 11:41 

geophil wrote:
Yes, do it again step by step with the tutorial, then try with a different route.

Always make sure the common folder is properly cleaned up. Picking the wrong route because of naming conflicts seems one of the typical error causes.

Hello Roland,

I found out where I went wrong :mrgreen: .

I restarted from tutorial 2 : Google earth and Transdem ( page 105 Transdem manual ver 2.2 ).

When arriving at para 4 subpara b - convert to UTM and saving the raster map to georeferenced raster map.

After the saving process, I assumed that I already was working with the georeferenced raster map and here I made the mistake.

So, I opened the georeferenced raster map and continued the process ( page 49 to page 52 page 54 to page 60 ( Transdem Trainz manual ver 2.2 ) and all went smoothly :D .

Now, I just have to find out if the height within Google earth ( para 2 Creating a placemark for an image ) can make a difference in this process.

Best regards

Kurt

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2012 18:08 

Belgian46 wrote:
After the saving process, I assumed that I already was working with the georeferenced raster map
So would I. But apparently TransDEM treats this differently. Internally, there are indeed two separate states for a map just georeferenced and one loaded from file. But that should not affect using the map. I have taken a note of this.

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2012 10:22 

geophil wrote:
Belgian46 wrote:
After the saving process, I assumed that I already was working with the georeferenced raster map
So would I. But apparently TransDEM treats this differently. Internally, there are indeed two separate states for a map just georeferenced and one loaded from file. But that should not affect using the map. I have taken a note of this.

Hello Roland,

I did some other test - I noticed the following.

Within Transdem I did :

a) Opened a dem-file
b) Opened a georeferenced map of Belgium
c) With the simple route editor created a straight line from De Panne to Oostende and saved the route - later on created a straight line from Oostende to Knokke and saved the route.
d) I then closed the georeferenced map of Belgium and the route
e) Reopened the route De Panne to Oostende ( edited ) - opened the map tile server - took the Virtual earth option - used zoom max 17 and scale 17 as zoom level
f) used the map along the path option and clicked on get map - saving all in a specific folder
g) After the process in f was finished, I closed all maps
h) Opened the georeferenced map ( lgb.file ) which was created during the step f
i) selected the area
j) opened my route in content manager for editing
k) Clicked on Created UTM tile objects
l) the UTM tiles were created in the scenery folder
m) Imported the UTM files in Trainz ( import content ) and committed the route
n) Opened Trainz and used wire frame view - and I saw all orthophoto pictures from De Panne to Oostende

I went further and I repeated all above steps using the route Oostende to Knokke

When getting to step n - there was a difference :o

I only saw the orthophoto pictures from Oostende to Wenduine, which is 1/3 of the route, and not the complete area from Oostende to Knokke

I tried it several times, and every time I got the same result.

The distance from De Panne to Oostende is approx 30km, the distance from Oostende to Knokke is approx 35km.

When I create one route going from Depanne to Knokke ( 65 km ) and use the received the lgb file of the track ( ref step f of the above used procedure ), arriving at step k ( create UTM tile objects ) an error is received. The length is probably to much.

Next test will be - create 3 routes ( distance Oostende to Knokke ) and see what kind of result I'm getting ( orthophoto's in Trainz )

Best regards

Kurt

Last edited by Belgian46 on 08 Apr 2012 09:55, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2012 09:29 

Hello Kurt,

when exporting UTM tiles, you don't need to open the DEM in TransDEM, it will not contribute here. But that's a minor detail.

Steps j - m: Check the common export/import folder. What's in there? Before "opening for edit" in Trainz Content Manager, make sure no route folder with the same name is found. In the ideal case you only have the scenery folder and no route folders at all. It's a Trainz Content Manager flaw that it always opens a route for editing, regardless of folders with the same name at the destination. In such a case it gives no hint at all, but simply creates a folder with a new cryptic name.

And it will be that folder with the cryptic name, that the commit function will be applied to. In TransDEM, however, you will export new UTM tiles to a route with a clear text name, not the one with the cryptic name. This means, TransDEM and Trainz Content Manager work on to different and independent instances of the same route.

Regarding long routes and a large number of ortho-images or map clippings: While TransDEM uses image compression internally, it will eventually run out of memory if you keep adding images or trying to export if memory usage is already critical.

You can export UTM tiles to an existing route in stages, with smaller export areas for each step. Load only as many ortho-images as needed for each step. From the Trainz Content Manager perspective, just leave the route open for editing as long as you are working on it with TransDEM.