TransDEM Forum

TransDEM News, Support, Hints and Resources
It is currently 28 Apr 2024 09:28

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Make change to map
PostPosted: 27 Sep 2011 14:04 

Hello everybody,

Let me explain the situation.

I have a Dem file for my region, created a georef Raster map and created a track route, road route and waterwayroute ( shp.files ).

I opened the Dem-file, georef raster map and opened the three routes.
Made a selection ( rectangular Mask ) and created a map with Dem elevations and ground textures and also created track splines from route vector data.

Imported the content ( content manager ) and received a map. My track, road and waterways were all represented by a track. I couldn't find a method ( one action ) to create a map where my trackroute was represented by a track, my road route by a road and my waterway route by a waterway.

Is there such a method? If yes, how can I make it, keeping in mind that I created animated water within my route, and that I would like to keep the changes that I already have done to this route. ( change = animated water over a distance of 65km )

Thank you

Best regards

Kurt

Post subject: Re: Make change to map
PostPosted: 27 Sep 2011 14:22 

The TransDEM Vector Data export dialogue has a field "Object KUID". There are a few predefined KUID assignments here but you can add your own. Remember that each export encompasses all vector data currently loaded. To differentiate between rail, road and water, first load the railway layer, export with a track KUID, then remove this layer. Now load the road layer, change the KUID to a road spline and export. Repeat again for watercourses. Strict rule: one layer at a time.

One of Gisa's video tutorials (#2) is dedicated to exporting vector data with different KUIDs.

The TransDEM vector export will not overwrite existing splines at the same location (I hope :evil:).

You have to open the route for edit in Content Manager to enable TransDEM to add additional data. But make sure the user data folder has no other copy of the route in question. Otherwise Content Manager will export the route under a cryptic name.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2011 18:23 

geophil wrote:
The TransDEM Vector Data export dialogue has a field "Object KUID". There are a few predefined KUID assignments here but you can add your own. Remember that each export encompasses all vector data currently loaded. To differentiate between rail, road and water, first load the railway layer, export with a track KUID, then remove this layer. Now load the road layer, change the KUID to a road spline and export. Repeat again for watercourses. Strict rule: one layer at a time.

One of Gisa's video tutorials (#2) is dedicated to exporting vector data with different KUIDs.

The TransDEM vector export will not overwrite existing splines at the same location (I hope :evil:).

You have to open the route for edit in Content Manager to enable TransDEM to add additional data. But make sure the user data folder has no other copy of the route in question. Otherwise Content Manager will export the route under a cryptic name.

Hello Roland,

Thank you for your reply.

I tried the following

1) I opened my route for edit in content manager and then made the changes in transdem using the above method.
Unfortunately no changes were executed within my route.

In the userdata editing folder, when I opened my route for edit in content manager, I saw the appearance of a cryptic folder. This folder disappeared when I commited my route in content manager.

2) Then tried the following : opened my Dem, opened georef raster map and opened my route track

Made a selection of the area ( rectangular mask )

Created a map with dem elevations and ground textures ( with new route name ) and created track splines using the above method.

And yes - I got the track with track kuid, road with road kuid and something weird with water.

When I opened the new route I saw cars riding on the water kuid :lol:

3) I will search why It doesn't work by editing my original route. :roll:

Best regards

Kurt

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2011 21:12 

Belgian46 wrote:
1) I opened my route for edit in content manager and then made the changes in transdem using the above method.
Unfortunately no changes were executed within my route.

In the userdata editing folder, when I opened my route for edit in content manager, I saw the appearance of a cryptic folder. This folder disappeared when I commited my route in content manager.
You made your changes to the the route originally created by TransDEM, not to the one opened for edit by Content Manager. Before you open for edit in Content Manager, move, rename or delete the original route in this folder. Then you will not end up with the cryptic name. (Nevertheless, you could still select the cryptically named route in TransDEM, if you are sure it's the route you want).

Note: This does not yet work with routes edited in TS12 Surveyor.

Quote:
[...]

And yes - I got the track with track kuid, road with road kuid and something weird with water.

Sorry for that. I could not find a built-in water spline. Therefore I picked some road spline which looked a bit like a brook.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2011 09:45 

Quote:
You made your changes to the the route originally created by TransDEM, not to the one opened for edit by Content Manager. Before you open for edit in Content Manager, move, rename or delete the original route in this folder. Then you will not end up with the cryptic name. (Nevertheless, you could still select the cryptically named route in TransDEM, if you are sure it's the route you want).

Note: This does not yet work with routes edited in TS12 Surveyor.

Quote:
[...]

Sorry for that. I could not find a built-in water spline. Therefore I picked some road spline which looked a bit like a brook.

Hello Roland,

I thaught I did something wrong using the water kuid, so I found it funny to see cars riding on a water kuid. But in fact it was a normal presentation.

I'm still searching for the bottleneck ( me ( :lol: ) or something else ) in de editing process.

Tried several options -

opened the route for edit ( in content manager ) and then using the original name or cryptic name.
opened the route for edit ( in content manager ) and deleted the folder in userdata editing folder

But still no joy.

Created a new map with dem elevations ... etc etc and used another kuid for water and the result was the one to be expected.

I will continue my search ....

Best regards

Kurt

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2011 10:10 

Hello Roland,

Again opened the route for editing. When the route was edited, I went to the userdata editing folder and had a look at the route folder.

The only file that was changed was the mapfile.trk

Is this correct?

Best regards

Kurt

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2011 10:38 

Hello Roland,

I found something in my route. Only a small part was changed.

Link to the picture : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19070177/trackroad.JPG

Best regards

Kurt

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2011 11:12 

The mechanism behind route naming is simple. We normally use a common folder for exchanging data between TransDEM and Content Manager.

We start in TransDEM and let TransDEM create the route initially. This generates a folder with the new route files in it. The folder has the name we assign in TransDEM, e.g. "My Route".

Then we use Content Manager to import the route from the common folder to the Trainz internal database. After import, the original route is still present in the common folder. It will not be used by Trainz, though, because Content Manager has made a copy. Any editing in Surveyor will affect the internal copy, not the original, TransDEM created route.

At a later stage we may want TransDEM to add more data to the existing route. The route has already been edited in Surveyor, so it is no longer a clone of the one in the common folder. Content Manager offers functionality to temporarily export a route for external editing. Content Manager searches the common folder for a route with the same name "My Route" before placing a new copy of the route into it. If it finds the name, it still exports the route, but under a new cryptic name, without any user confirmation. Therefore, before opening any route for editing in Content Manager, always remove an existing copy of the route from the common folder, by moving, renaming or deleting the original one.

Belgian46 wrote:
The only file that was changed was the mapfile.trk

Is this correct?
Yes. The .trk file is the one that holds the spline objects. It stores the control points, the links between them and the spline KUIDs.

Belgian46 wrote:
I found something in my route. Only a small part was changed.
Before adding new vectors to an existing route, TransDEM first reads the vectors from the .trk file. If the new vectors have the same coordinates as existing ones, they shall be ignored (at least that's the intended behaviour).

So, if you already have railway track at the very same location where there should be a road, TransDEM discovers the track and will not add the road.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2011 18:04 

Hello Roland,

Thank you for your extended answer :D .

[/quote]Before adding new vectors to an existing route, TransDEM first reads the vectors from the .trk file. If the new vectors have the same coordinates as existing ones, they shall be ignored (at least that's the intended behaviour).

So, if you already have railway track at the very same location where there should be a road, TransDEM discovers the track and will not add the road.[/quote]

I will have to search for a solution because tracks are present within the roadpath. The solution will probably be a manual adaption.

Best regards

Kurt