TransDEM Forum

TransDEM News, Support, Hints and Resources
It is currently 27 Apr 2024 14:21

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Re: Google earth issues
PostPosted: 04 Sep 2011 18:19 

liebherr1280 wrote:
That was awsome.
It was a challenge for me, too. But I always enjoy exploring new territory.

Quote:
Well I will give the tutorial a try when I get back home in 2 weeks. I work remote so I will be gone for a bit. I will drop you a line with any questions. I showed the wife what you had done and she said I should just purchase the information from you.
I am sure that it will be much more satisfying to do it yourself and watch how it all fits together. :)

Quote:
I did have one more question I understood most of everything that you put down except for one Item............. In layer group "DRG" select layer "DRG 1:63k". Change "Max size" to 1200 x 1200 px. Change scale to 1:80000. This will be good enough.
Is this in the Web mapping services drop down in order to get the map?
Yes. You have to be connected ([Connect]-Button) to the server to see WMS layer groups and layers. Once you have completed the Durango & Silverton tutorial you will understand the other settings. They are on the right hand side of the WMS client dialog.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2011 00:50 

I want to say Thank you for all your help. I got up early this morning and made a attempt at it. I am happy to say I have a route layed on a map. It closely looks like your first screen shot. I cant wait to get home and finish up with all this. Thank you again for your assistence.
Sincerly Chris

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2011 17:59 

Thank you alot for all your help. I have added my first map to Trainz. I am going to try and add another part of the map using http://www.openstreetmap.org/ But when I add this into the add server I keep getting the same message. File not found! Thank you again.
Chris

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2011 09:14 

Chris,

"Open Street Map" (OSM) is a Map Tile type of server, not a WMS type. If you did the Map Tile tutorial, you will already have configured it. The OSM settings are part of the sample configurations for Map Tile services.

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2011 17:02 

Sorry about that. I guess 2 weeks away made me forget how to do things. I had configured the tiles. My question is, I have made this route into three sections as you suggested. I am having issues trying to merge them together. I cant seem to get them to merge in surveyor for the life of me. And the dems I have from the site you suggested are great. The thing I noticed is the Topo map with its elevations on it do not match the Dems in actual elevation. This is fine up in the mountains but as I get closer to Anchorage I end up under sealevel. Not to good when it comes to there being a port. :lol: Sure the longshore men wont mind. HAHA.

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2011 13:29 

liebherr1280 wrote:
My question is, I have made this route into three sections as you suggested. I am having issues trying to merge them together. I cant seem to get them to merge in surveyor for the life of me.

When you split the route into modules look carefully at the 720m baseboard grid (Menu Trainz | Show baseboard grid). Seemless merge in Surveyor will be possible if the baseboard edges match. The UTM coordinates of the edges have to be the same. UTM module coordinates will be written to the *info.txt file in the route directory during the TransDEM export process.

Example: The fist module has an eastern boundary of 504320 (UTM easting). The next module shall extend the route further east. This means that the western boundary of this next module must be 504320 again. These edges will always be multiple of 720 metres.

Use the rectangular mask in TransDEM to define the export range. You can also fine-tune this with the coordinate fields at the top of the export dialogue. And in Surveyor you can eliminate excess baseboards, should there still be overlap between the modules.

liebherr1280 wrote:
he thing I noticed is the Topo map with its elevations on it do not match the Dems in actual elevation. This is fine up in the mountains but as I get closer to Anchorage I end up under sealevel. Not to good when it comes to there being a port.
The ASTER DEMs are satellite DEMs, data acquired by a sophisticated sensor and DEMs produced a complex algorithm. This latest edition of 2009 is much better than previous versions but still elevation may be somewhat incorrect (apart from the well known artefacts). Is the error you notice a systematic one?

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2011 21:51 

Looking at the elevations on the topo maps and then comparing them to the dems in Serveyor. For instance, The topo shows a elevation of 1000 but the actual elevation is only 300. Dont get me wrong I am not complaining. Especialy when I am looking for a 3.1% grade. This is all in surveyor.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2011 12:25 

Can you give me a concrete example? Coordinate values for a particular point where you found this discrepancy? I guess you are using the ASTER GDEM and the USGS 1:63 top maps, acquired via WMS?

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2011 21:39 

I am using the ASTER GDEM and the USGS 1:63 via WMS. Well I did some messing around and for a good example. The Anchorage Yard actually goes from 18 foot to over 100ft. This messurement does not comply with either the Topo map nor does it match the GDEM. I am able to work with, I will just have to spend alot of time in Surveyor. It seems that I might have to do a little more poking around with Transdem to see what I can do with HOG or manipulating the terrain. Dont get me wrong you have a great program that I have learned to love. I am learning more each and every day. Trile and error or course. The smooth terrain I love. I wish I could be able to do that myself. You told me Alaska would not be easy. HAHA. Thanks for all your help. Keep up the awsome work.
Chris 8-)

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2011 10:53 

Anchorage Yard at 61° 13' 30" North, 149° 52' 40" West ?

I checked the DEM. Terrain is not as flat as you would expect and maximum elevation I detected is around 20m (70 ft). But this is the ASTER GDEM, TransDEM is only the visualisation software.

ASTER DEMs are orbital DEMs, their creation is a very complicated process and the DEMs often show artefacts, peaks or dips. However, they are the only DEM data source with a reasonable resolution for areas north of the 60° parallel. (USGS terrestrial NED DEMs are available for just a few spots.)

To deal with DEM irregularities, TransDEM offers a number of dedicated tools. Some of these tools work with a network of user composed triangles. It may be easier to handle DEM artefacts in TransDEM and not in Trainz Surveyor. See Tutorial 11: Removing Artefacts, starting on page 148 in the TransDEM main manual, on how to do this.