TransDEM Forum

TransDEM News, Support, Hints and Resources
It is currently 29 Mar 2024 13:36

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2023 01:20 

Good afternoon everyone. I am currently working on a DEM that is quite large. I am following the below tutorial. I completed the first step(get the map tiles for the area the wide area the DEM will be part of, and the second step where I lay the path along the general line of the rail lines. But when I go to the third step where the map gets pared down to only what is around the path, I am getting a "path is too complex" error.

Does anyone know how to get past this? Is it just because the route is too big, or are there settings I can adjust to make it work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Meeq_5_keYs&t=715s

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2023 12:53 

I am not a big fan of that particular tutorial. I think it makes things much too complicated.

Once you have the DEM the quickest way is still "map tiles" for both the ground textures and the base for your route vectors, as described in tutorial #7 in the TransDEM main manual.

In essence you draw only rough polylines to indicate the course of your route with the built-in Simple Route Editor, based on low to medium scale. These are good as filters to download the larger scale map tiles as in tutorial #7 and they are also good enough when exporting DEM or UTM tiles. As these will usually be polylines with relatively few points, the "too complex" error will not be triggered.

I would then suggest to take the larger scale map tiles to draw your route vector lines on top of them and export this vector route to Trainz as the template for your tracks.

OSM original vector data and extracting/exporting with JOSM, as shown in that tutorial, means a lot of additional work, in my opinion rarely needed at all.