TransDEM Forum

TransDEM News, Support, Hints and Resources
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 12:33

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Tile Issues
PostPosted: 10 Jan 2023 16:58 

I have tried several times to get a route downloaded in TRS19 following all the tutorials and trying some of the pointers in the manual. I also watched a video on YouTube and the same result - mldgSchrb_mapfile.txt. The area is in Maine, not sure if you need the coordinates.

Post subject: Re: Tile Issues
PostPosted: 10 Jan 2023 19:10 

At which exact step in which tutorial from the manuals did you encounter a problem? Did the "Muengsten" tutorial succeed?

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2023 21:07 

That one was done three times - when I first downloaded it; after I downloaded it when you recently sent me the code, and just now. I noticed that a message window open and said the 2 baseboard units were missing. They were already installed. I used JOSM for the route I'm trying to re-create. I have read some prior posts about this issue and finally decided to get your advice. Perhaps another map server? If that makes a difference (not sure). I do have file images saved if you would like to see them.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2023 09:46 

Without a more precise problem description I can only give general advice. Certain words in your posts suggest that this might be about placement of UTM tiles and the pop-up warning message that the corresponding baseboards were not found and therefore some UTM tiles were skipped.

UTM tiles are ordinary Trainz assets, like houses or trees, only much bigger. To place them, they need the matching baseboard already existing in the route. Trainz baseboards are 720 x 720m, while UTM tiles are 1000 x 1000m (or 4 tiles of 500 x 500m). So, if you export DEM and ground textures along a path, make sure to create enough width on either side, by setting the Route Filter to the desired number of baseboards. If you then export UTM tiles to that route, set that Route Filter to a reasonable value as well. As a rule of thumb use the arithmetic calculation, e.g. with terrain route filter set to 3 baseboards = 2160m - 2880m, UTM tile route filter 2 would be 2000 - 3000m but will probably miss a few at the edges.

As a visual aid in TransDEM, switch on the baseboard grid and set the UTM grid to 1000m fix.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2023 00:55 

Thank you very much for your assistance. I was not aware of the rule of thumb you mentioned. I'll give it another go and let you know how it goes.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2023 18:01 

The rule of thumb is excellent. And I have been editing the route where necessary to resemble it when I worked there as a locomotive engineer. Thank you for the help.