TransDEM Forum

TransDEM News, Support, Hints and Resources
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 19:14

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2020 19:50 

I have a really interesting problem. I've created a raster map and also the map tiles from the map tile server. I then create a route which does have multiple points on it. I have created the map tiles as well and then I try to import the DEM something strange happens.

It happens even if I try to import multiple files or one large file that is created by a mapping service. It resets the coordinates of the rater map and places the DEM either further left or right of the raster map.

Any ideas?

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2020 21:25 

That looks like a UTM zone mix-up to me. Either DEM and vector or the raster maps have been mapped to the wrong zone. As you haven't included the status bar in your screenshot I can't tell you which. But from the coordinate range it's obvious that two UTM zones are involved, the two centres are about 400 km apart.

PostPosted: 06 May 2020 12:42 

Having a bit too much free time this morning and good Internet access where I'm staying, I hunted down the DEM in question. The confluence of rails seems to be on the N53W114 dem in Canada which Transdem is reporting as zone 11u. The meter coordinates on my screen are matching the DEM in your screenshot.
It appears that your map tiles are being displayed in the wrong zone. Geophil knows much more about his Transdem program than I and may be able to suggest a fix. I wouldn't welcome the thought of editing the location data of each and every tile unless you can get them to display correctly by editing just their zone. Perhaps you could try collecting a small new batch of map tiles to see if they show up at the right location? Or maybe try a different tile server? Sorry that I'm no help.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2020 12:47 

Not sure if the OP has their UTM set to Canada. I'm wondering if that could be my issue as well
but I can't manage to get any DEM from Canada other than the shuttle in the tutorial that is popular
on youtube.

Thanks

Sean