TransDEM Forum

TransDEM News, Support, Hints and Resources
It is currently 19 Mar 2024 12:46

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: video tutorial
PostPosted: 02 Sep 2019 05:16 

I have a question about TransDEM is there an video tutorial on how get Google Earth Pro images on to TransDEM. I've read the Manual an got confused by it.
And there's no video on to explain how to do it. I've used open street map and used JOSM but gives the track such ruff drafted where I rather use a Google earth pro image and trace over the track image
on google earth pro plus I'm using Trainz A New Ear.

would be really nice to see a detailed video tutorial on how to do.

Post subject: Re: video tutorial
PostPosted: 02 Sep 2019 09:08 

JOSM, in my opinion, is a bit over the top for an average route project. When I presented this approach a while back (Open Street Map Vector Data in TransDEM with JOSM), I regarded this more as a feasibility study than as a standard workflow.

The easiest and most efficient way still is to apply Map Tiles. Follow tutorial #7 in the TransDEM main manual ([F1] key in the TransDEM main window), page 146 in the current edition "Tutorial 7: Map Tile Services". It also explains how to use the built-in "Simple Route Editor".

Now, when you say, a particular map source may not be detailed enough and you want to switch to aerial images, there are a number of providers in the sample configurations, namely ESRI, Microsoft Bing and Google. (You will have to register an API key for Google) that might offer sufficient detail.

If you really prefer the slow path, you can indeed use Google Earth instead. You will need GE placemarks and it will be an image-by-image task. How to do that is explained in tutorial #2 in the TransDEM main manual, page 130 "Google Earth™ and TransDEM".

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2019 21:34 

Is there any video tutorial also on how to flow step by step guide.
It would be really appreciate

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2020 13:23 

This is probably a tutorial I refer back to quite a bit when my head hurts from reading the awesome manuals provided :) I haven't checked the ones here as of course the author has his own series though the post was a bit dated. Here is the video that is about a year or two old now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Meeq_5_keYs

Keep in mind when he created this video he was also a newbie like myself to TransDem. If you haven't done so already though work through the tutorials in TransDem's manuals and START SLOW. Keep many different versions (backups) and remember to clean out all the old obsolete ones to recover space.

I have created several big pictures just to inspire me what I'm headed for. I'm close to the border which creates an interesting challenge as Canada's coverage doesn't pass into the U.S. at their 15M maps. However in researching the small area in Buffalo, NY on USGS I came across 5 to 10M maps that stretched into my territory (but not across Buffalo for some reason).

I have a youtube channel where I do live streams as I progress through it. Once I am more experienced I'll provide some updates. https://www.youtube.com/user/murrellsean

Thanks

Sean