TransDEM Forum

TransDEM News, Support, Hints and Resources
It is currently 19 Mar 2024 08:12

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2014 02:03 

geophil wrote:
I'm afraid, opt as a vector data format is unknown to me. I'm not sure (and my intenet connection is too limited at the moment to verify) but can't we obtain vector data in shape format via the National Map Viewer?

I didn't even know that the National Map viewer had vector data until you said it did but it wont let me bring up rail and not all the roads are there.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2014 19:48 

Redford1998 wrote:
I didn't even know that the National Map viewer had vector data until you said it did but it wont let me bring up rail and not all the roads are there.
The new GeoPDF topo maps did not have rail until the 2013 editions. This may affect shape vector data as well. I guess they come from the same source.

What you also could try is Open Street Map vector data, but the data needs to be filtered and converted with JOSM, see here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=158

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2016 02:33 

I know this thread is a couple of years old, so I don't know how much use this will be. I've written a Python script that will convert the USGS DLG Native (i.e. Optional) format into DXF. I have tested it on just one DLG file, but the resultant DXF output seems to line up well with the rail lines on OSM.

If people are interested in this, we can discuss how to share it.

Matt