TransDEM Forum

TransDEM News, Support, Hints and Resources
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 21:34

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Cant save here problem
PostPosted: 03 Mar 2023 16:48 

Hi,
I am trying to through the tutorials but quite often when saving I get the message "Can't save here as you don't have permissions" and I am directed to another area. Is it safe to delete the whole TransDEM programme (hoping it will delete all the files) and re-install taking care not to put folders where I can't get access. Any help here ??
craigdon

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2023 14:49 

Apparently, you are trying to save files where you shouldn't. By default, TransDEM stores all its files, including the sources for the tutorials, in the protected "Program Files" directory tree. You need so-called "elevated" rights or admin rights to write there. Standard Windows users can raise their access rights to "elevated", but fortunately these aren't enabled automatically. This prevents you from accidentally messing up the installation.

Instead, set up up some directory sub-tree in your user area, typically under "Documents", for all your TransDEM projects.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2023 19:28 

Thanks again Roland. I have done as you suggested and opened a folder in 'Documents' to hold various folders/files.
Don W (craigdon)