TransDEM Forum

TransDEM News, Support, Hints and Resources
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 14:14

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2014 11:52 

The new EU regulations, effective January 1st, 2015, change the way VAT has to be paid for digital downloads. From then on, VAT is due in the customer's country, not in the supplier's country (as long as the customer lives in an EU member state). The supplier will be responsible to identify (and theoretically even verify) the customer's billing address. The supplier also has to pay the VAT amount to the customer's member state, but they have set up a simplified mechanism for this, called MOSS - Minimum One Stop Shop. This is for the supplier only, the consumer is not involved in that part.

EU regulations also say that prices advertised have to include VAT. Since the VAT rates are different in all EU member states things can become rather complicated.

By the way, there is no minimum revenue threshold and there are no other exemptions to the new rules at the moment. People, however, have their doubts that this new system will work in practice, particularly with the large number of micro businesses affected. But right now, these are the new rules and we have to live with them. (By design the new rules are aiming at the big companies for digital downloads, them picking the countries with the lowest VAT rates - e.g. 3% in Luxembourg - to place their servers.)

In our field here, payware for Trainz and other railway simulations, some have said they might close their shop end of this year, finding it too difficult for them to continue. For my part I have decided to comply with the new system to the best of my understanding.

That means, TransDEM will remain available as before, with only a few minor changes. From January 1st, when you place an order, I will need your full address to identify an EU member state. Your good name alone will no longer suffice, unfortunately. I will also slightly adjust prices. But TransDEM will remain to cost the same all over the world. The total will still include VAT, where applicable, now at different rates, and will still include PayPal fees. Your personal invoice will indicate your individual VAT rate and amount. I will then transfer all VAT to the member states via the MOSS clearing facility.