TransDEM Forum

TransDEM News, Support, Hints and Resources
It is currently 28 Apr 2024 21:57

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: WMS Data- NSW
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2011 12:50 

Geophil,

Spent the last few weeks getting used to TransDEM, creating a few small routes using the Web Map Tile server, and having got the hang of that, would like to move on to using the WMS server.

Howver, following tutorial 5 in the TransDEM manual is not possible, as the site you provide there, redirects to here: https://six.nsw.gov.au/wps/portal/index.html
I am unable, although it must be said I haven't looked to hard :oops: , any kind of link to WMS.

Would you be able to advise as to where I might find this service?

Also, a related question; what are the advantages of using a WMS server over the Tile Map server?

Thank you in advance,

Matt.

Post subject: Re: WMS Data- NSW
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2011 13:25 

mattm wrote:
Howver, following tutorial 5 in the TransDEM manual is not possible, as the site you provide there, redirects to here: https://six.nsw.gov.au/wps/portal/index.html
I am unable, although it must be said I haven't looked to hard :oops: , any kind of link to WMS.
Just checked myself. The server seems to up, at least partially, and is able to respond to the "GetCapabilities" requests, however, GetData requests yield an error. These WMSs are sensitive birds. It could be maintenance, excess demand, or anything else.

Quote:
Also, a related question; what are the advantages of using a WMS server over the Tile Map server?
Government-backed WMS usually has the advantage of complete coverage while commercial Map Tile providers focus on road transportation and public domain Open Street Map has to rely on input by volunteers. And often a WMS offers more topographic details.

Update: Checked again. WMS seems back to normal now.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2011 13:41 

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, it seems to be back up on my end as well. I was just wondering, as I have tried on about a dozen occasions the last week to access it with no luck.

Will try again, and see how we go.

Matt.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2011 02:03 

Geophil,

I feel I may be missing something here.

When opening the WMS client dialogue in TransDEM, is it normal to have to re-enter the server URL, in instances where there is already an existing Server/Server Group, with saved URL?

Does this information have to be entered fresh, every time you start a new session?

Edit: Checked again; pressing the button marked 'Connect' does wonders :oops: :oops:

Thanks for all the help.

Matt.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2011 08:54 

mattm wrote:
Checked again; pressing the button marked 'Connect' does wonders
Double clicking on the server entry in the tree will also connect.