TransDEM Forum

TransDEM News, Support, Hints and Resources
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 15:53

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Re: Welcome
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2011 21:22 

Hi Robbyd (would that be robd in Trainz forum? If not, apologies).

I've managed to get a basic DEM map done, but that's as far as I can get it. Where are you getting additional vector data and the like?

Thanks.
PFX

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2011 21:46 

PFX72 wrote:
I've managed to get a basic DEM map done, but that's as far as I can get it. Where are you getting additional vector data and the like?
Did you follow the Map Tile tutorial in the TransDEM main manual, page 130, as suggested yesterday?

Basic vector data, hand-drawn, is enough to generate the Trainz route.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2011 22:22 

I'm sorry for sounding stupid and repetitive. I'm still trying to get to grips with all this and it takes me a while to get used to new software when a lot of technical data is involved.

Thanks
PFX

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2011 23:21 

PFX72 wrote:
Hi Robbyd (would that be robd in Trainz forum? If not, apologies).

Thanks.
PFX

Hi PFX, Yep, it's me. Sent an email to you.

Rob.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2011 00:26 

geophil wrote:
PFX72 wrote:
Did you follow the Map Tile tutorial in the TransDEM main manual, page 130, as suggested yesterday?

Basic vector data, hand-drawn, is enough to generate the Trainz route.

Hi geophil

Is the ascii data that comes with the OS Panorama Landform data classed as vector data?

Correct me if I'm wrong but is the definition of the word vector 'movement with/and direction' ?

When the OS ascii data is loaded in to TransDEM it creates a tile of terrain features (heights) with different colours that correspond to different altitudes.

I am not sure what you mean by 'hand-drawn' vector data.

Rob.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2011 08:39 

Rob,

this ASCII data is the text format of the DEM (Digital Elevation Model, US) or DTM (Digital Terrain Model, UK). It's a simple grid or raster or two-dimensional array, and it does not count as vectors. The grid only contains height values. Raster width and location is determined by the information in the header. This information is incomplete, though, as it does not identify the map projection or geodetic datum. That's why you have to tell TransDEM that you expect the data being OSGB36.

(O/S Land-form Panorama is also available as contour lines. These would be vectors.)

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2011 18:00 

Hi geophil

Re: Landform Panorama data.

TransDEM will load up the ascii data,*.asc, and it is usable to make the required terrain in Trainz surveyor. TransDEM will not load the vector contour data, *.dfx files. As the ascii data is usable for my purposes the fact that .dfx files won't load isn't a problem.

As I said before, I have managed to get a workable terrain and map overlay in to TS2010 surveyor using the ascii data and overview maps in TransDEM. Thanks for clarifying the position re: ascii data not being vector data.

Cheers,

Rob.

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2011 14:24 

Just a post to say Hello to all. I have just joined the forums and look forward to using the resources it offers, as well as meeting you other Trainzers, who are dealing with the mental trauma that transDEM can inflict upon novice users. :? ;)
Please note that I have posted tutorials here, these are especially aimed at new users of TrainzDEM. I plan on four tutirials, the first, which is actually a tutorial for the USGS Seamlerss Server, is posted. The second, describing how to use the Servers NED data in TransDEM, including generating and merging DEM maps will be posted shortly. The third unit is about applying Raster Map data to DEM maps. It is in the first draft stage and will probably be put up early next week. A fourth unit is planned, which will cover the creation of UTM objects from raster maps, which can be imported into Trainz as map overlays.
Looking forward to meeting you all in the forums.
regards

Last edited by steamboateng on 08 Apr 2011 13:53, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2011 11:27 

steamboateng wrote:
... who are dealing with the mental trauma that transDEM can inflict upon novice users.
I hope no one is suffering that badly. :o :shock: ;)

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2011 13:56 

Poetic license.........no harm intended :twisted: