TransDEM Forum

TransDEM News, Support, Hints and Resources
It is currently 27 Apr 2024 08:56

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: New Trainz22 HD terrain
PostPosted: 20 Aug 2023 09:18 

Hello,

Have you planned the export to a Trainz22 route with HD terrain? I have just installed the latest version of TransDEM ( 2.6.6.1 announced this August 18th ) and I don't see the option.

I already have the DEMs for Wallonia with a resolution of 1m and there is a new version available with a resolution of 0.5m.

Have a nice day!

Michel Lombart

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2023 14:23 

I very much doubt it. N3V hasn't hasn't been very cooperative here.

They did not want to reveal the new file specs to me even back then with T:ANE SP2. Instead their developer suggested to use the N3V provided API. This would have totally contradicted the TransDEM workflow. Evey single baseboard to be created by hand in Trainz Surveyor, then filled with DEM data by TransDEM? What a cumbersome process. That would have set users back to the very beginnings of Trainz.

And I gave up on analyzing the file formats myself after a while, it was costing too much time for too little reward.

I mentioned the situation to N3V when HD terrain came up, with no new result. I did not press it since.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2023 14:38 

I understand !

thank you for your reply and have a nice day.

Michel

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2023 12:31 

A real shame N3V haven't been co-operative.

For now I'm sticking with TRS22 Standard edition, not paying £55 again for the Platinum version and no interest in their subscription model.

On the subject of HD terrain, I've been dabbling in the just released TSW(4) editor. It is quite horrible essentially being a raw UE4 interface with some stuff bolted on for train sims. Not a tool for casual use like Surveyor or even the TSC (Railworks) editor. However the one thing TSW4 has brought to my attention is LiDAR data. When Matt Peddlesen did a quick demonstration of the editor, the difference between 30m SRTM and 1m or 2m LiDAR was just stunning.

Obviously Trainz not capable of showing that level of detail but just wondered if there's any way of bringing LiDAR into Transdem to at least improve slightly on what we get?

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2023 17:55 

BigVern wrote:
Obviously Trainz not capable of showing that level of detail but just wondered if there's any way of bringing LiDAR into Transdem to at least improve slightly on what we get?
TransDEM has been able to process hi-res DEMs - nowadays distinguishing DTM (digital terrain model) and DSM (digital surface model) - for quite a few years. There is nothing specific about these, file formats are the same as with med-res DEMs, you just need enough main memory to accommodate the huge amount of data. Most of my TransDEM screenshots in the last couple of years have been taken with LiDAR sources, from several countries around the world. The TransDEM 2.6 thread should give you an impression.