TransDEM Forum

TransDEM News, Support, Hints and Resources
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 10:19

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 05 May 2016 03:47 

Hi Roland,

I extracted a small test route using a mixture of 10 metre and 5 metre terrain with the orthoimages painted onto the terrain. The result is shown below. The 10m terrain is the part on the upper hillside and produces pretty clear images. The 5m terrain on the lower hillside produces an ugly blotchy mess.

Flying over the terrain on that hillside and then returning to the starting point seems to cause the textures to display much better in the image below, but the effect is temporary and moving away from this location and returning or exiting TANE and restarting returns the view to the blotchy displayed textures.

Someone over at the Trainz Forum said that you are familiar with this issue. If you are, can you explain what is going on and if there is any way to have the textures display as shown in the lower image rather than the upper image?

PostPosted: 06 May 2016 12:12 

I have seen the same effect in Surveyor but I can only speculate here.

Usually I create all 5 m baseboards for my testing these days so I didn't encounter any fully resolved texturing in the distance after loading in T:ANE Surveyor, like you did for 10 m baseboards, on the contrary, beyond a certain distance it all becomes very whitish for me, very overexposed. I guess - and it is pure guesswork - that the T:ANE terrain rendering engine employs all sorts of optimization to increase throughput and speed and that some algorithm performs rather poorly on uniform colour textures.

You probably moved the compass to the background and you will have noticed that baseboard textures get back their details when you come closer and that they stay that way for a while, presumably saving the detail in a cache. But again, it's just phenomena watching, I can't give you advice on what to change.

PostPosted: 07 May 2016 00:56 

I haven't experienced any overexposure on 5m terrain, even out to the 15km viewing limit. It all looks quite uniformly lit. I have the ambient light turned down quite low (between the 9:00 and 11:00 position on the dial).
I have moved the compass around to force TANE to fully render the scene, however if the scene is quite large, I notice that the more terrain that is rendered fully, the slower that TANE becomes with framerates dropping from 30 to as low as 11 or 12. Perhaps this is why the program doesn't fully render the textures.
So what to do now? It's not really a bug if this is the result N3V intended. I suppose I'll throw the question back into the Trainz Forum and see if anyone from N3V bites.
Thanks for your feedback.