TransDEM Forum

TransDEM News, Support, Hints and Resources
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 09:19

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 21 May 2015 23:28 

I am having a problem getting TransDEM to run. I had it running alright, but then something went wrong and now I can't get it to start at all. I get a pop up that says "The program can't start because xerces-c_3_1.dll is missing. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem." I have reinstalled TransDEM several times and I'm still having the problem. If I understand correctly,xerces is a part of Microsoft C++? I understand that there is an installer for C++ with your package, and have run that at the same time as reinstalling TransDEM and that hasn't fixed it. I have uninstalled and reinstalled C++ 2010 independently , and that hasn't helped either. I have downloaded that particular file, but I don't where to put it, or what to do with it. Or even if I'm on the right track. Any suggestions? Thanks for any help.

If it's helpful, I am running windows 7 (64), with 16 g memory

PostPosted: 22 May 2015 08:45 

Do you have both the 64bit and the 32bit versions installed? Find out which one you are trying to launch. The path to the executable tells you the installation location. The default location for 64bit is
C:\Program Files\Ziegler-Tools

This directory should contain (among others)
TranzDEM64.exe
TranzDEM64DEU.dll (not needed for the English version)
xerces-c_3_1.dll

PostPosted: 27 May 2015 02:43 

I have got the problem with the xerces file straightened out, but the program still won't launch...no error messages, it just won't start. I am using the 64 bit version with windows 7 64 bit.

PostPosted: 27 May 2015 11:01 

psferg wrote:
no error messages
That's a bit strange. Have you tried from a console?

To find out about dependent DLLs you can use Dependency Walker (for x64). Anything missing or strange paths there? MSVCR100.dll and MFC100.dll should come form c:\windows\system32.

Sysinternals's Process Monitor may be able to tell you how far you get when launching TransDEM. Set the filter to "process name" "is" "TranzDEM64.exe".

About a clean installation:
Apart from the installation directories (different ones for 64 and 32 bit!), TransDEM leaves footprints in the registry and in user app data.

Registry:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Rolandsoft\TransDEM
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Rolandsoft\TranzDEM
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Rolandsoft\TranzDEM64
Be careful when deleting those entries: You will also delete registration key hashes and will have to re-enter the key. You will also lose personal settings.
(There will be many more TransDEM traces in the registry but none that should affect start-up.)

app data:
<user>\AppData\Local\TransDEM
Most of these files will be read when TransDEM starts.
The KUID cash will be reset when files are deleted here.

PostPosted: 30 May 2015 01:10 

what I've done is:
I've searched the registry for the items you listed, and found none of them listed
un/reinstalled transdem, and searched the registry again and still found nothing.
I ran dependency walker, and got the following report...

API-MS-WIN-APPMODEL-RUNTIME-L1-1-0.DLL
API-MS-WIN-CORE-WINRT-ERROR-L1-1-0.DLL
API-MS-WIN-CORE-WINRT-L1-1-0.DLL
API-MS-WIN-CORE-WINRT-ROBUFFER-L1-1-0.DLL
API-MS-WIN-CORE-WINRT-STRING-L1-1-0.DLL
API-MS-WIN-SHCORE-SCALING-L1-1-1.DLL
DCOMP.DLL
IESHIMS.DLL

Warning: At least one delay-load dependency module was not found.
Warning: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in a delay-load dependent module.

Are these files windows files or transdem files?
The registry files could be imported manually, if I knew what to type in?
I have two transdem installers - 2.5.1 (64 bit), and 2.5.1 update (64 bit) do I need both of these?

Thanks for your help!

PostPosted: 30 May 2015 02:55 

Both of the dll files (MSVCR100.dll and MFC100.dll) are both there where they should be

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2015 09:27 

The missing DLLs are not needed by TransDEM. Same on my system, so that appears to be OK.
The next diagnostics tool to apply would be the System Monitor.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2015 01:31 

I have managed to get Transdem to started, (hopefully), finally. The 3 rolandsoft registry appeared to be screwed up. I deleted that folder and reinstalled. At least now it is asking for a registration code, which it hadn't before. I sent a request for a new code because it doesn't seem to like the one I have. Thank you for all of your help!