TransDEM Forum

TransDEM News, Support, Hints and Resources
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 16:01

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Re: TransDEM and TANE
PostPosted: 04 Aug 2015 14:31 

Roland - there seem to be a crop of issues currently taking Transdem routes into TANE.

At present these have to be created as if for TS12. The first issue is that when the route is opened in TANE, everything is covered with a ghastly blue hue. You have to go into the environmental options and force a reset to clear this. Transdem also seems to be skipping the water options when it sets up the config (think this might also have been an issue in TS12), i.e. choppy, ripple etc.

My own research shows that DEM created routes seem to be having a much bigger effect on Trainz performance than one created natively in TANE as a blank baseboard. Whether this is just a consequence of there being more data for TANE to crunch along with the Transdem textures already overlaid, or some incompatibility between the files extracted for TS12 and any changes TANE has made to how it handles these is not something the lay user can decide. Obviously TANE has its own issues (which I won't bring in here) but generally working on a Transdem created route is sluggish and unresponsive and seems to feed the TANE appetite for red-lining the hardware more than just working on a blank route.

Would be grateful if you could provide some feedback on these issues and how far off a version of Transdem optimised for TANE might be (even if we have to pay to upgrade).

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2015 13:58 

Vern, I started on the T:ANE route file formats a couple of weeks ago. Then I had to interrupt that work for some urgent stuff in the Zusi area. And now I am enjoying holidays for a few more days. :)

However, my T:ANE analysis work did already yield a few results. The track file format had to be revised, of course, for superelevation and track roughness. The ground file, on the other hand, appears to remain unchanged. There are a few fields, probably introduced with TS12 (can't tell from here) that now carry information, like the more detailed diurnal settings. I guess, the blue haze is originating here but I did not get that far yet.

But ground vertices and ground textures seem to be organized exactly as before. And, in essence, that are the only things which matter that TransDEM produces.

I'll report more analysis results once I have them.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2015 22:02 

Thanks Roland. I had hoped my small, natively created route theory might be a red herring and it seems it might be that.

Zusi, eh! Could that mean the retail release of Zusi 3 is actually getting close?! (I know you're sworn to secrecy but it does not hurt to ask :) ).

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2015 21:32 

BigVern wrote:
Zusi, eh! Could that mean the retail release of Zusi 3 is actually getting close?! (I know you're sworn to secrecy but it does not hurt to ask :) ).

[offtopic]The Zusi focus may have been on the professional training/education variant in recent time but that doesn't mean that the consumer retail version has not been worked upon. Every now and then a new video appears on YouTube, either in the official channel (author "Zusi Bahnsimulatoren") or the semi-official channel (author "Echoray1"). In both cases the author usually is Alwin Meschede. These videos are quite talkative and, as they are mostly addressing very specific railway operation issues, admittedly not really helpful for an English speaking audience. Nonetheless, they illustrate what Zusi is aiming at.[/offtopic]

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2015 07:56 

Thanks Roland.

Back to the topic in hand, I think my experiment has concluded that using Transdem/overlaid textures for a prototype route has no bearing on performance in TANE.

Having now applied terrain texture and scenery items to my four board test route, created entirely in Surveyor, the same issues such as high GPU temperature, laggy terrain painting etc are now present. So while some optimisation of how Transdem talks to TANE and of course elimination of the aqua-blue haze on import is desirable, Transdem is entirely innocent otherwise!

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2015 20:45 

Roland are you going to add Tane to the pull down list in the update. I don't have TS12 and am not going to buy just to get your program to work. I just repurchase your program for the new tane, and cant pick my version from your pulldown list. Thanks in advance for your reply. I have version 2.5.1.0. Is this the latest version.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2015 21:06 

You don't need to run the base route created by Transdem through TS12. Just import from wherever you extracted the folder direct with TANE CMP.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2015 13:52 

G'day geophil,

I've just been contacted by another of my regular 'clients', Roland, who has been affected by the disappearing ground textures "issue" after attempting to update his route into T:ANE. Normally, I would simply direct his attention to the copy of the updated Texture Set that is 'stored' on our VicTrainz Server but in checking with your website to ensure that this file was the most up to date version available, I noticed that there is a 32 bit version of the file and a 64 bit version of it. The version I have in storage is the 32 bit one and it occurred to me that, although the different formats would certainly be relevant for the TransDEM user's system, it might also be important for the appropriate 'format' of this file to match the route user's system (where these two 'users' are not one and the same)?. Could you please confirm this before I reply to his plea for assistance...

Jerker {:)}

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2015 18:46 

A TransDEM user should install these textures via my official TransDEM patch. And as there are a 32 bit and a 64 bit variant of TransDEM, there are also two patch variants. He must use the patch matching his variant, otherwise the patch will fail. The textures themselves are packaged as a CDP. They are installed as part of the patch and contain pure data, with no knowledge about a 32 or 64 bit environment.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2015 06:19 

G'day geophil,

...thanks, Roland, that's all understood...

Jerker {:)}