TransDEM Forum

TransDEM News, Support, Hints and Resources
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 14:21

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: TransDEM and TANE
PostPosted: 11 May 2015 21:42 

Correct me if I am wrong but has this subject been raised before.
Will TransDEM be upgraded to suit.

Post subject: Re: TransDEM and TANE
PostPosted: 12 May 2015 16:08 

jackdrake wrote:
Will TransDEM be upgraded to suit.
Yes, that's the plan. Nevertheless, the current version of TransDEM should work out-of-the-box when exporting to T:ANE, provided you use the new TransDEM ground textures published as an update earlier this year.

PostPosted: 19 May 2015 19:26 

Hi Roland; I tried bringing my route into TANE but the boards didn't work; will the patch fix already created boards or will it only make new creations compatible with TANE?

PostPosted: 21 May 2015 08:17 

The patch adds a new T:ANE compatible version of Trainz ground textures. You need to install this new set (or both sets, if you used orthoimage texturing) in T:ANE CM. Then, existing TransDEM-generated baseboards will make use of the new textures automatically.

PostPosted: 26 May 2015 06:01 

G'day geophil,

...I don't wish to sound or be disrespectful or 'pushy', Roland but can you definitely confirm that...

..."...Then, existing TransDEM-generated baseboards will make use of the new textures automatically..."...

...is ALL that is required for a route exported to a previous version of Trainz to work in T:ANE? I ask this because I have a 'client' who is attempting to import an 'old' route into T:ANE using a *.cdp format export from TS12 but even with the new texture sets installed in his copy of T:ANE, he is not seeing any terrain or ground textures (as per these VicTrainz forum entries)...

Jerker {:)}

PostPosted: 26 May 2015 08:38 

Garry,

yes, that's basically it. :D (at least for the export direction. Re-import is not yet supported.)

The latest patch (January 2015) adds two new textures sets in cdp format to the TransDEM installation directory sub-tree, V5 for the standard and V2 for the ortho-image set. They need to be imported with T:ANE Content Manager. Since the textures carry KUID2 keys, the higher version number will automatically be recognized by CM and Surveyor and thus supersede older versions of the textures when rendering. The route itself does not need to undergo any adjustments for the new TransDEM ground textures.

If a user purchased TransDEM 2.5 or upgraded to it very recently he will find the new textures already present. Other TransDEM 2.5 users should download the patch. There is one for TransDEM 2.5 64 bit and one for 32 bit. It won't work with older versions of TransDEM. Please note that the patch installer appears to have a little glitch: If the original TransDEM 2.5 package was installed to a non-default location the installer may not find it and has to be pointed there manually. One of the installer wizard pages allows you to enter that path by hand.

PostPosted: 26 May 2015 16:59 

G'day geophil,

...thanks for that confirmation, Roland. Clearly, the problem my 'client' is having must be caused by something else. It has just occurred to me that the route he is trying to import into T:ANE is a very old one, created "B.T." (Before TransDEM), using Global Mapper and HOG, which means that it more than likely is looking for the original HOG textures (I would suspect, the 64 patch set). Is there a chance that this could be the issue, even though the 'old' HOG textures have been "built-in" content, since TS2006 (if I recall correctly)?...

...as you are aware, I am "right up to date" with my TransDEM patches, so there are no issues at my end. I am ready to receive my copy of the updated version whenever you have it ready for us...

Jerker {:)}

PostPosted: 26 May 2015 18:26 

Jerker wrote:
which means that it more than likely is looking for the original HOG textures (I would suspect, the 64 patch set)
According to the Trainz wiki, textures are now preprocessed when imported by Content Manager. For this to work, many texture assets had/have to rearrange their configuration. In case "built-in" textures bypassed the proper import procedure, that preprocessing may not have taken place. It would certainly fail, if texture configuration is not complying with the new T:ANE rules.

PostPosted: 31 May 2015 20:10 

geophil wrote:
The patch adds a new T:ANE compatible version of Trainz ground textures. You need to install this new set (or both sets, if you used orthoimage texturing) in T:ANE CM. Then, existing TransDEM-generated baseboards will make use of the new textures automatically.

Trying to do this in trandem. To confirm, in order to update the tiles I now have to open the DEM of my route, add in the tiles and then select CREATE UTM TILE OBJECTS and start masking each little area again to export it to a new folder for import into TANE? If so that will suck as it will be 30+ masks I have to do. I can never get above 4x4 tiles without a 'limitations apply' error (TD 64bit).

I just noticed the TRANSDEM GROUND TEXTURE V5 CDP, do I need just this one, or V4 and V5 for TANE? I guess this is why my boards didn't show up in TANE, I didn't have any of these installed, including wire frame and mesh importer.

PostPosted: 31 May 2015 22:22 

Never mind, works fine now, my Polar Bear express route is now happily in T:ANE.