TransDEM Forum

TransDEM News, Support, Hints and Resources
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 15:01

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2015 00:51 

May I join your community? I will try to be good.

First of all, thanks goes to Geophil for creating this terrific timesaver called TransDEM. I have been routebuilding in Trainz for many years using considerably slower methods and finally took the plunge and purchased it last week. After two days of extracting and executing the relevant sections from the two supplied manuals and ModelerMJ's Google Earth tutorial (nice work ModelerMJ!), including 2 sleeps and an 11 hour shift at work, I now have my first TransDEM generated route in Surveyor. It is a blend of SRTM 1arcsec DEM terrain, Google Earth imagery, and a mainline plotted out with a polyline created in Google Earth and imported to TransDEM.

I chose for this test project a section of the REAL Black Forest Railway in Germany, between Biberach and Villengen. I chose this line because I am off to Germany next weekend for a holiday, including 4 days in Triberg, which is a town along the line. We will be travelling by train of course! But mainly because the terrain is mostly hilly, the track alignment twisty and steep in places, and there are no less than 38 tunnels in the 75km between those towns. So it is a perfect test route for TransDEM, which has proven to be very accurate so far. I am very impressed, so hats off to Geophil.

I would also like to thank all the members of this forum. I have been reading some of the threads, and they helped a lot with the task of learning TransDEM, making the process much easier - thanks to all. I noticed that there are some 300 registered users of this forum. It isn't too much of a stretch to conclude that we all have an interest in building and using prototypical Trainz routes in our simulators. Our favourite railroad era, interests, methods, styles, and quality standard at which we consider a route useable may all be different of course, but we all have a similar preference for prototypical routes. It also occurred to me that it is quite possible that some of us are investing our time in building a route that has already been built by somebody else.

This raised some further questions in my mind that I thought I would put to the community, if I am not being out-of-line, here they are:

1. Is there some kind of route exchange program in existence somewhere? I mean separate to the DLS or other 3rd party websites, all of which could die out one day, and all of which suffer from other limitations such as route size. A means by which fellow prototypical Trainzers exchange their routes via email or even snail-mail. I use the word "exchange" here because I believe that a participant in such a program should be willing to offer his own routes to others before benefiting from the generosity of others.

2. If such a route exchange does not exist, is there a reason why it cannot exist that I am unaware of in my ignorance?

3. If such a route exchange does not exist, and there is no particular impediment to it's existence, is it worth further discussion? Or should I mercilessly stamp on this particular idea, and go back to madly laying track rather than typing out my useless ideas?

Any feedback or comment would be welcome, most esteemed gentlemen.
Kind Regards
Deano

:idea: :arrow: :mrgreen: