TransDEM Forum

TransDEM News, Support, Hints and Resources
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 10:22

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2014 23:10 

My Symantec Norton Anti-virus showed an error during download of new virus definitions, so it directed me to the Symantec website to do a manual download. When this did not work, the recommended second step was to download and run Norton Power Eraser.

Upon completion, Norton Power Eraser gave notice the desktop shortcuts to TransDEM, PEVsoft Image2TGA and dBASE were "unsafe." Assuming it would only erase the shortcuts I elected to continue. Power eraser then deleted not only the 3 shortcuts, but the whole Ziegler Tools folder as well as the Images2TGA folder among Program Files! Since dBASE.exe was not in the "Program Files" folder of my 32-bit Windows 7 machine it was left unscathed.

Fortunately, I was able to restore the Ziegler Tools folder and Image2TGA folder from a back-up and reinstall the shortcuts so things work fine.

The main purpose of this posting is to give warning this could happen with unfortunate results.

Why would Norton Power Eraser find something unsafe about the desktop shortcut for TransDEM or anything the Ziegler Tools folder, especially Transdem.exe?

George

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2014 22:01 

WindsorSpring wrote:
Why would Norton Power Eraser find something unsafe about the desktop shortcut for TransDEM or anything the Ziegler Tools folder, especially Transdem.exe?
I have no idea. Does it say why that tool claims software to be "unsafe"? TransDEM.exe does not carry a digital signature, but millions of other pieces of software are not digitally signed either.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2014 03:33 

I do not recall Norton Power Eraser noting anything specific about the three applications, including TransDEM, other than that they were unsafe. I am not really keen to run it again.

My account in the first posting was not correct about dBase because Power Eraser removed dbase.exe from the folder, though it erased nothing else.